1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice will be gladly accepted!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Siddz, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Siddz

Siddz New commenter

So, after deciding not to play dress up at my interview last week, I didn't get the job. However, feedback was positive and I was told that I was a close second.

The headteacher has got back in touch with me and has offered me an intervention position. I have only been teaching for a few years. Am I doing myself a disservice by accepting an intervention role when I applied for a class teacher job? Will accepting this look like I couldn't 'hack' being a classroom teacher?

I have worked with amazing teachers doing intervention roles. They have patience and understanding which I find is beyond my capabilities. I'm stuck between accepting a job because it will keep me financially secure for a year and holding out for the right job but doing supply in the meantime.

I'm not expecting an answer off anyone as I know it is ultimately my decison. I just needed to put my thoughts down in words. Thanks for reading!

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I take it that they have given you a little time to think things over?

I do not really know the role of an intervention teacher. I imagine it is coaching of children to get to the target levels is it?

If this were me I would go for it I guess. Having this on your CV is probably not a disadvantage in the short term, and I don't think you are in a better position with the alternative. Like I regularly say on here, it depends on your financial position. Can you afford to turn down a regular wage to pursue supply?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It'll look like someone actually in employment when applying for jobs next year, rather than applying from the weaker position of unemployment . . .

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

4. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Go for it siddz - it sounds as if it'll be good experience.

Good luck in what you decide.

5. I agree - go for it! You will hopefully get to see lots of good practice at the school and will also have a current HT reference for next year's applications. Best of luck.

6. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I wouldn't have thought it would look as if you 'couldn't hack' classroom teaching at all, honestly. Rather that you have strong skills in intervention that is specific, purposeful and leads to rapid progress - all of which will be a huge boon when you do go back to class teaching (if that is what you want!)

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well?

What have you decided?

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

8. Siddz

Siddz New commenter

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I've had a good chat with my family and decided that if I'm employed on the same payscale then I'd be fool not to go for it.

I also rang the school for more information and it sounds quite exciting. Different to what I've done before but it will provide more experience in accelerating learning! I hope I'm up to the challenge!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

10. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I am pretty sure you have made the right choice. You may well have got a great job on supply, but it is a real gamble. I doubt you will be disadvantaged any in the future. Good luck.