1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice wanted

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by martydog, Jul 20, 2011.

1. martydog

martydog New commenter

Hi
    This is my situation I left a permanent job at the end of may due to stress and bullying SMT. I have been trying to get a job since then with no luck, I am now thinking this might be the time to try teaching aboard. However I have a husband and a 4 year old son. Has anyone started teaching aboard with a family and what was your experience of it? It is a difficult decision as I need to work to pay the bills and my son loves the school he goes to but there are no teaching jobs where I live. Any comments would be helpful.

2. martydog

martydog New commenter

Hi
    This is my situation I left a permanent job at the end of may due to stress and bullying SMT. I have been trying to get a job since then with no luck, I am now thinking this might be the time to try teaching aboard. However I have a husband and a 4 year old son. Has anyone started teaching aboard with a family and what was your experience of it? It is a difficult decision as I need to work to pay the bills and my son loves the school he goes to but there are no teaching jobs where I live. Any comments would be helpful.

3. I know a few people one went to Kuwait and one to Slovenia both with families and getting a bloody good wage!! With less *** stress!!!!!

4. Martydog!
    It is not as easy abroad as people think - I taught in Kuwait; it is not a breeze. Bullying managers are not uncommon and there is no one to turn to.
    There are a few good schools but many poor ones.
    Teachers are leaving the UK in numbers and the better schools get to pick the better teachers. Competition is tough.
    You will have to get a good school as they tend to be the ones that employ teachers with families.

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Indeed it can vary greatly from situation to situation.There are well-run schools with pleasant children and there are hell-holes full of brats and 'managed' by eejits. Most schools are somewhere inbetween those extremes. The main point is that it is highly likely to be different from what you are used to so it is important not to come with too many preconceptions of how things 'should' be.
    One person's bullying manager is another's stickler for standards. I could tell you some horror stories from both sides of that particular debate. A serious piece of advice: Make sure the hurt of your past experience doesn't colour your approach to the new situation. I've seen candidates flunk an interview at the first question, e.g. 'Why do you want to come to Ruritania Mrs X?'

6. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Haven't had many myself, since these types simply don't give the job to people who they realise they can't bully. But from what I've seen, and others have told me Foney is spot on. Compared to the way most medium to large businesses are run, people management in most schools is feudal. Upset the lord and his barons and the only thing you can be thankful for is that they can't use a rack or branding iron on you. Or, in my case, cut out your tongue, or chop off your writing hand :).

7. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

[​IMG]
    Quite so. There are absolutely no feudal barons in the corporate world. What do you say, James? Lachlan?

8. Dr CO Jones

Dr CO Jones New commenter

How can they tell? Do you unbullyable types have some kind of ninja aura? Or is the visible weaponry something of a giveaway.
    [​IMG]

9. I recommend an IB school that will give you a free place for your child. Probably too late to pick and choose schools now. Sign up with search associates for their jobs fairs in London in December. If you want an IB school then do some research on their programme. I have been teaching internationally for 16 years and no regrets ! Good luck.

10. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

What the flock has IB to do with the OP's query? Nonsense irrelevant response.

11. Clearly IB schools don't have bullying SMT and are the ONLY schools that provide free places for children. Would have thought that was obvious!
    OP - there are generally jobs starting August/September and January/February so there are two recruiting times. There are also a number of jobs advertised for those that do not turn up for a new job in September so keep an eye on the TES jobs and sign up with a variety of agencies such as Search Assoicates, Hays, Teach Anywhere and so on. Google search will find a variety for you.
    On the subject of your child - he is 4 and will soon adapt to new friends and a new school.