1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice wanted from current head teachers and teachers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by louise88x, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hello,

Long story short I am going to be returning to University this year to complete my final year of my degree and then wish to try and gain a place on a GTP.
    As places on this program are hard to get I want to find some extra bits to put on my CV to try and make me stand out abit. I will only acheive the minimum grade 2:2 so need to stand out for other reasons.
    Are there any courses that you could recommend. Is it best to go for something like an open university course in French or Spanish or do something like sign language?
    I will be doing first aid courses anyway this year but thinking I may need something else as well as alot of experience.
    If any headteachers are reading this, obviously a CV is what you see first about a person is there anything you look for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Hello,

Long story short I am going to be returning to University this year to complete my final year of my degree and then wish to try and gain a place on a GTP.
    As places on this program are hard to get I want to find some extra bits to put on my CV to try and make me stand out abit. I will only acheive the minimum grade 2:2 so need to stand out for other reasons.
    Are there any courses that you could recommend. Is it best to go for something like an open university course in French or Spanish or do something like sign language?
    I will be doing first aid courses anyway this year but thinking I may need something else as well as alot of experience.
    If any headteachers are reading this, obviously a CV is what you see first about a person is there anything you look for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

3. I think much more important than any extra courses would be time in the classroom. This is what will make you stand out.

4. Get a job as an LSA. They may even let you do your GTPat the school if you impress them. It happens a lot.

5. dc521

dc521 New commenter

A variety of experiences in school (especially if it's with different age groups) helps a lot.
    Additional skills: first aid, sports coach, foreign language ... if you're going to choose one of these or something that you find, make sure it's something that you can cope with doing in school.
    Finally, look into TA jobs. They can be invaluable for the experience.