1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Wanted: Dipping our toe in the water and researching working abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by apapa, Jul 7, 2011.

1. apapa

apapa New commenter

Hello,
    My wife and I are both secondary teachers. We have over ten years experience in English (her) and ICT (me). We have 3 children (14, 3 and just born). For a variety of reasons such as needing more money, more space and a better lifestyle we are now thinking seriously about working abroad. We are thinking about the Carribean, Africa, Hong Kong or the Middle East.
    I have a few questions and would be grateful for some advice:
    (1) What are our chances of getting job offers at a good school with good accommodation? Would the fact that we are a teaching couple with lots of GCSE and A Level experience at good schools in the UK work in our favour or would the fact that we would have 3 children, at least two of whom would need to be educated work against us.
    (2) Am I correct in assuming that we would be looking at good accommodation in a house with a decent sized living area and some outside space close to the school. Would this still neccessarily be the case if we went to Hong Kong? How do you guaruntee that you get what you are offered in interview? Are people often disappointed that the reality does not match the promise?
    (3) Would we earn enough to live well and save a significant amount. Would being able to save between £1,000 and £2,000 between us per month be realistic?
    Any advice or suggestions on countries that would be particualrly suitable for a family like ours would be most appreciated.
    Thanks
    a

2. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

you've got mail.