1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Advice: UP 1 > 2

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DaisysLot, Sep 11, 2012.

  1. DaisysLot

    DaisysLot Senior commenter

    Progression from UP1 to UP2 is not dependent on any form filling or letter writing: This is a total myth that an ignorant head teacher somewhere invented and gripped on to. Progression should be automatic provided there have been two successful performance management cycles in the preceded two years. NOW, as your school has failed their statutory obligation to undertake performance management I would suggest a polite letter to them stating that you are 'aware' that you are due to progress up the spine as two years have passed and your teaching as far as you are aware has been up to standard.... then launch into 'asking' for advice on what to do concerning the schools failure to make any provision for the suggested performance management cycles that would typically be used as evidence for progression.
  2. strawbs

    strawbs Established commenter

    and in addition to this I would consult your union rep as well.
    Also do you think there has been anyone else in your position recently that you can speak to (rather than going by what admin said)?
  3. Would t his also apply to moving from UP2 to UP3? The performance management did not happen last year. I had one meeting, one observation and nothing more. the year previously was similar due to my l ine managers absence. Am I entitled to move up to the next pay scale?
  4. strawbs

    strawbs Established commenter

    assuming you've done 2 years on up2 then yes
  5. Thanks, there are a couple of us due to move this school year from 6 > U1 and U1 > U2. I was going to wait until I got my pay slip at end of the month as they may have just completed it (as one of the people due to move is a family member)
  6. chriszwinter1

    chriszwinter1 New commenter

    I do not see why any member of staff should suffer detriment because the school, in the form of its HT and presumably its governing body, has failed to meet its statutory obligations. As DaisysLot suggests, a polite letter to the HT in the first instance should be enough. You might wish to seek union advice and if the HT fails to respond ask the union to take over the case and refer it to the governors.

Share This Page