1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice to student teachers...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by luvinit, Feb 10, 2012.

1. I am mentoring a student teacher...observed a lesson today,in which the teaching was great (I'm fairly sure I wasn't that good in T2), but gently pointed out to her that she needed to be very certain of the classes spelling ability before asking them to write a report about King C n u t...

2. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Not just student teachers! I managed to teach my year 5s how to spell *** very wrongly and I've been teaching for 7 years now (4 time round on the Vikings). I didn't put their topic books out for parents' evening that time around [​IMG]

3. cinnamonsquare

C n u t gets filtered. Do TES not know how to spell either?

4. cinnamonsquare

There are loads more of my mistakes that have just popped into my head. I think they need sharing so others don't suffer in the same way:

When modelling how to do neat and even block writing for an art project, don't choose the word Arsenal and then stop halfway.

If you misspelled "fast" on the board as "farst" but noticed quickly, don't correct it quickly by rubbing out the "st" and replacing with just a "t". Your class won't really notice, but your uncontrollable giggling (Friday afternoon) will set them off.

During a cold netball practice, don't rush to get your words out. "She's a shooter so stick to her like glue," can accidentally become, "She's a shooter, so s h i t..." followed by an awkward silence.

Lead is poisonous. Iron is not [​IMG]