1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice to deal with child that has ASD

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Happilyeverafterfinally, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Happilyeverafterfinally

Happilyeverafterfinally New commenter

My daughter who is 9 has ASD. A lot of the time she will refuse to walk if we are out. Sometimes she does a thing where she lies on the floor/drops to the floor. Sometimes she also does a thing where she just runs like really fast that I can't keep up.
    How should I deal with this? Because I feel like I've tried everything and don't know how to deal with it.

2. jodom1

jodom1 New commenter

Hi, it could be various things but is a form of communication. So could be by dropping to the ground they don't want to do or go where you are going. It could be a sensory seeking or avoiding measure. Re running again it could be a sensory issues, it could just feel good and they don't want to stop. How does she like to communicate with you or others?

3. Happilyeverafterfinally

Hi, the running is really hard to deal with as if you hold her hand to stop her running 8 times out of 10 she will drop to the floor. Are all 3 behaviours a form of communication by her?
    Yesterday we want on a walk and my Daughter refused to walk, sat on a bench and kept saying ‘no, no’ and hitting out. I sent my husband and older daughter on ahead and sat with her. I stayed very patient but was quite deadpan. Eventually (at least 45 minutes if not longer!) I started throwing stones into a puddle - she got interested, so we walked to the next puddle and the next. Two minutes later she was running along the track, laughing.

4. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

How was she diagnosed as presenting with ASD? After diagnosing the condition, did the diagnostician supply any advice and strategies after the diagnosis? Does she manifest the behaviour you describe when she is at school? If so, how do her teachers address the issue? Consistency is key with any child with additional needs. Is there a local support group where you can exchange ideas and tactics with other parents? Sorry, so many questions, but looking after someone with SEND demands teamwork.

My initial thought is that your daughter needs to see the point of whatever you expect her to do, which is a common characteristic of ASD. You seem to have achieved a breakthrough when you waited patiently for her to refocus and then showed her how simple things like splashing stones in puddles can provide sensory pleasure and amusement. Your instincts and willingness to experiment are leading you in the right direction.

never_expect_anything likes this.
  5. Happilyeverafterfinally

Hi, she has high functioning ASD.
    No, we are under an ASD nurse but only see her once a year and she never calls back if I call her.
    Yes she does it in school if she drops to the floor or refuses to walk they just wait patiently for her.
    Before lockdown I used to go to two parent groups but obviously don't at the moment.

I think the reason why she changed when I was throwing stones into the puddle was because it distracted her. Obviously 45 minutes was a long time to just sit on a bench but I'm patient with her as I know she can't really help it.