1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice/support on part time and Inset

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by gemmabirch21, Feb 22, 2016.

1. gemmabirch21

gemmabirch21 New commenter

I need some advice / support. I have a 0.4 job share teaching post. My working days are Thursday and Friday. All INSET days are held on a Monday in my school. I am always asked whether I will be attending and faces pulled if I don't, this makes me feel very uncomfortable. I attended the first two of the year on my non working days and had to pay out extra nursery fees for my toddler. My school refuse to pay extra for INSET days on non working days so I was left £100 out of pocket. I just feel that do I not deserve to be paid equally for being in on that day as the other full time members of staff are? Should I be expected to pay out for extra days nursery costs to attend work for free?

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

No, if you are covered by STPCD then you cannot be required to work an a day that you do not normally work. This is covered by the STPCD.

Even if you aren't covered by STPCD then I would still regard this as dodgy. I would be interested to see the discussions that led the STPCD to be drafted in the way that it is. I am not sure whether the drafters were trying to protect PT workers at a level beyond that required by legislation or whether they were simply trying to clarify how the law applied in the teaching context.

3. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I'm afraid in my experience, part-timers are often treated like this;they think of you as a full-timer with days off, but it's bowlocks.

What (hypothetically speaking) if you had another job on Mondays and Tuesdays?

Stick to your guns, and ignore the pulled faces! Or ask them if they'd be happy attending unpaid inset meetings on Saturday or Sunday, because that is the equivalent of what they're asking you to do.

cazzmusic1 and joannagb like this.
  4. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I work part-time and our INSET days are often held on the days I don't work. It is always assumed I will be attending, and I am always paid when I do. Occasionally, I don't attend by mutual agreement, in which case I don't get paid.
    You should be paid for the days you work, like everyone else.

Compassman and cissy3 like this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Helpful as always Theo!

7. gemmabirch21

gemmabirch21 New commenter

Thanks for opinions and advice. I have had conversations about attending and said if I am able to attend then I am happy to but I want to be paid, at least to cover my childcare costs. I asked to be paid for the two days I did and was told no, it is professional development. I'm really left with no option now but not to attend as I can't afford to pay out for nursery and not earn any extra. I'm just fed up of the stigma really. It's worse as two other part timers are happy to attend unpaid and have no childcare issues. Makes me look even worse :(

8. MineField

MineField New commenter

Teachers are their own worst enemies.

9. mantilla

mantilla New commenter

I work part-time 0.44 and if INSET is on my working day I attend. If not we negotiate whether it is useful for me to go and if we agree it is useful then I get paid. They are being unreasonable and you should ignore anyone pulling faces. As for others coming in unpaid willingly, more fool them.

10. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

It doesn't matter whether you have childcare issues or not. You could say you're spending your day watching the telly. It is not of their concern.

As is often the case these days they are taking advantage.

cissy3 likes this.
  11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

When I worked .6, I was sometimes asked to go in for all kinds of things- Inset, Ofsted on my non work days, support for the deputy if the Head was out of school etc. I was always paid and I think that the acknowledgement that you are doing more, makes you much more likely to accommodate such requests.

I don't agree that all Inset is professional development either. If it's important enough for you to attend, it's important enough to pay you. If they won't pay you, then politely decline.

cissy3 and Compassman like this.
  12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good point made there by @foxtail3 .

Important = pay. Unimportant = stay at home.

Best wishes

13. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I was under the impression that, with regard to INSET days for professional development purposes, failure to allow part-time employees access to the same training opportunities as full-time employees could amount to unlawful discrimination.

joannagb likes this.
  14. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

I've spent today attending an INSET.It's normally a non-working day for me so in my case,I've been given TOIL (Time Off In Lieu),which suits my own circumstances,as I do PPA cover and my timw is being clawed back from a day when I won't be needed.

15. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I work 0.6 and our InSET are usually on the days I don't work. I either take them as days in lieu or swap so I don't come in on a day I normally work.

Don't feel bad about not coming in when you aren't supposed to, that's why you are part time!

LaLad makes a good point.

Also, take care if you are using your name.

sally90 likes this.
  16. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

All the full-timers at you school attend professional development unpaid do they? How interesting.

GLsghost likes this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My last post was 0.6, and there were 5 INSET days in a year so I attended 3 of them. The start of school year INSET day was on a day I didn't work but I went in anyway - inconvenient but common sense. Nobody challenged me about the days I missed.

18. frustum

frustum Star commenter

"I was under the impression that, with regard to INSET days for professional development purposes, failure to allow part-time employees access to the same training opportunities as full-time employees could amount to unlawful discrimination."

That's where you might be able to challenge them; if they won't even pay your childcare costs, you are not being given access to the training opportunities.

Time off in lieu is the solution for some people (can sometimes be a way to get out of sports day!), but unfortunately that doesn't help if you are paying for regular Thurs/Fri childcare; the Monday childcare will still cost extra.

19. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

At my last school SLT arranged the timetabling so that most part timers worked either Mondays or Thursdays and the trainings were evenly split between those 2 days, which seemed very fair (not particularly normal for them!) but it did seem to work, if there were Mondays when there was a training that was relevant to me then I would go to it and miss a Thursday training in lieu.