1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice - Supply teacher: yes or no?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tiziana-freni, Aug 5, 2020.

1. tiziana-freni

tiziana-freni New commenter

Hello everyone,

I am an NQT (Languages) who needs to complete one term to achieve the Induction year. Not having found a role for September, I am looking for some advice. Should I consider supply teaching (to be accountable as Induction time) or roles as Cover/supervisor? If so, should I contact an agency? (comments on the forum scared me a bit).
    I live in Surrey and, unfortunately, I travel only by public transport. I would avoid London because of high travel expenses.
    Any advice or suggestion is more than welcome. Thank you.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I would give it a go - get joining some agencies soon.

You can't do your induction on supply - I assume you know that.

3. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

You can if you have a long-term position for at least a term and the school agrees.

Also in Wales, supply is counted to the induction period, yet in England it is not, which seems strange, but the Dept of Dumbing Down as always been behind the times and I wonder how many NQT's are lost to the profession due to the lack of vision from the political class and useless civil servants?

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The agency may also find you long term or even a full time job. Do not use any agencies that expect you to use an umbrella company for your tax. Always go with one that will do PAYE.

agathamorse and ajc89 like this.
  5. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Neither cover supervisor nor supply will count towards your NQT induction (unless you do supply for a full term AND your school agree to allow you to complete your induction BUT this is very unlikely at the moment as they'd have to give you 1 day per week out of the class and a range of CPD - all of which would take you away from your bubble and put a stranger in).

My advice is to do supply to get experience but keep applying for roles that start in January since your induction doesn't have to be completed in 3 consecutive terms.

Good luck with the job hunt.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

Have you looked for a permanent p/t role ( which you might consider leaving once your Induction is out of the way)?

Also if your induction wasn’t complete due to the virus that would seem unfair. Is that the case here?

7. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

That is one view. Another view, equally valid, is that if a supply teacher, as is often the case, has no form responsibilities, does little or no marking and little or no planning and preparation, then his/her job is hardly a complete teaching role and there is no reason that it should contribute to a proper induction into teaching.