1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice sought - What can I do about a dishonest Headteacher?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by jue123, Jun 28, 2008.

1. jue123

jue123 New commenter

Hi
    I am a TA and last week the Head humiliated me in front of the Senco. He ignored me and told the Senco I had done a and b, but I hadn't. Then he repeated it again. Of course he had no proof. I was speechless. He seemed to be trying to provoke me into saying something I may regret, but I just walked out of the office. I sent him a letter explaining that I did not do it. Then he states in a letter the 'matter is closed'. He has accused me of stuff before but could not back it up. Bizarre behaviour. He has got rid of lots of teachers over the past 2 years. Teacher's joke 'what mood is he in today'. I am really down - how come he can go around accusing people of something without proof and get away with it? if I accused him of something, I probably would get the sack. Not what you would expect in a catholic school. I am now looking for a new job, but guess what, he has to provide the reference, ahhhh

2. jue123

jue123 New commenter

Hi
    I am a TA and last week the Head humiliated me in front of the Senco. He ignored me and told the Senco I had done a and b, but I hadn't. Then he repeated it again. Of course he had no proof. I was speechless. He seemed to be trying to provoke me into saying something I may regret, but I just walked out of the office. I sent him a letter explaining that I did not do it. Then he states in a letter the 'matter is closed'. He has accused me of stuff before but could not back it up. Bizarre behaviour. He has got rid of lots of teachers over the past 2 years. Teacher's joke 'what mood is he in today'. I am really down - how come he can go around accusing people of something without proof and get away with it? if I accused him of something, I probably would get the sack. Not what you would expect in a catholic school. I am now looking for a new job, but guess what, he has to provide the reference, ahhhh

3. Well I hope you have contacted your union, he's a bully and he should be brought to task, contact your union and get it recorded even if you don't want at this stage to take it further.

4. I can only agree with KS, please do it soon x

5. jue123

jue123 New commenter

Thanks for your responses.

I have a dosier on him. When I leave this is going to the Diosese, governors and the union.

6. Why wait until you leave?

7. Well, apparently if a Head wants to get rid of you will give a very good reference. So, don't worry.

A friend of mine went for an interview and at the end of the interview, which had gone very well, the head of the new school offered her the job and added, "by the way just for your own interest, the Head of your old school gave us very bad reference, and this is the letter, you can read it"

She still got the job, the new school realized it was a grudge the other Head had against her.

8. Also, I think it's now illegal to give "bad" references. I think legally there is a set of questions they can ask, and stuff they cannot ask. So, was she punctual... yes, did she do her tasks, yes...

9. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I would doubt very much that you would get support from the Church or the Governors against the HT. A TA friend of mine was accused of all sorts of things she did not do by a Headteacher. The school started a disciplinary against her with some of the most bizarre accusations that they had no evidence for - all supported by the Governors.

It all ended up at an ET and my friend was paid off by the school. The headteacher was shown to have lied in her witness statement. That was a catholic school too !!!

Like others have said, get your union involved.

10. Go to your union, church schools can and do close ranks but bullying is illegal and lea's have to act. I would suggest you bypass your govs and state that it is because you envisage a lack of support. Believe me you will get support! We had a a nasty case of bullying and the head was close to the gov (all golfing buddies) but when it came to an official investigation it was hard for them to argue. Make sure you document everything. Is there anyone who could speak out for you as a witness to your distress, or who has experienced similar things?

11. Send copy of your dossier to your local press who may forward to a national tabloid, that's if you want to give the Head a real kick up the backside. I did this a few years ago, it caused a real stir and my new employer treated me with the utmost respect/{fear}.

12. It sounds a though you work in the same school as my wife!

She has been repeatedly bullied by the HT for the past 2 years. This is purely down to the HT wanting the child my wife works with out of the school. The problem is that each time there is an assessment of the child, my wife is complemented on the child's progress.

The HT has even gone so far as to take my wife into the office and say that he is not happy with the glowing reports. The HT did exactly the same thing to a previous member of staff when he wanted a child out of the school. Resulting in the member of staff leaving on health grounds (stress).

Prior to the recent strike, the HT took each member of the support staff into his office one by one and explained to them that he 'hoped' they would not be letting the school down by taking industrial action.

ALL staff in the school, teachers and support staff feel the same about this ogre.

13. ISN'T IT TIME HE WAS SORTED OUT THEN.