1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice sought for a would-be supply!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tigerbaba, Apr 3, 2012.

1. tigerbaba

tigerbaba New commenter

I am about to launch myself into a supply career. Any tips and advice would be welcome.

2. tigerbaba

tigerbaba New commenter

I am about to launch myself into a supply career. Any tips and advice would be welcome.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I doubt many people these days would call supply a 'career'! Though some fortunate people are having regular work which earns them a reasonable income.
    Do a quick search here on teh fora about starting supply over the years there have been so many threads with lots of good advice.

4. If you are NQT or M1 or M2 you are desirable because the schools will not have to pay as much if AWR kicks in. In addition agencies give you more of a runaround if you are M6 because they do not really want you because you are a source of reduced profit to them. Direct contact with schools used to work but most of them think you are not worth the cost of a letter or email to say they are not interested. Awful manners, I know, and the most frightening thing is these people give our children careers advice when their own manners are downright abysmal. I do know of one supply teacher who gets regular work and has probably gone through the threshold (and probably gets the full rate). Her main qualification is that she is married to the headteacher.
    My advice would be find something else to do with your life.

5. What is your background and where are you? Usual stuff is their a county list (pays to scale + pension payments), get an agency with portability on the CRB and sign for a load until you work out which is best. Be ready to go in the morning. Take agencies with a pinch of salt. I would agree supply is not a career, but you can get by until other stuff comes along. Take care.

6. Endangered species - most counties have long since either outsourced their supply lists to agencies, or at the best, closed them to new supplies.

7. tigerbaba

tigerbaba New commenter

Oh that sounds frightening! I am on UPS2 now but will have to resign soon for personal reasons. I have registered with some supply agencies but they seem positive so far. The rest remains to be seen. I guess for them you are just another source of income. I am interested in diversifying myself, perhaps into secondary (I am primary trained) and as yet, have not become sufficiently disillusioned about teaching as a profession, although I must say, last few months have been a 'hell on wheels'! One way to look at it is that whatever my bad deeds from the past are acruing their fruits now! Learn and leave it! That's my mantra in life. Thanks very much. By the way, how long have you been supplying?