1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice: Should I do my honours?

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by hen1200, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Hi Im looking for some advice. Im am just about to finish my 3rd year at Strathclyde studying business. I do not really enjoy my course and have decided I want to become a primary teacher. I am trying to find out which would make my chances of getting in stronger: finishing off my honours degree next year or taking the year out to gain more experience with children, volunteering in schools in Africa is something I have always wanted to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. my advice is that it will be better for you to fisrt decide whether you want teaching and if so then my suggestion will be get experience by this i mean go and teach so that when doing your honours uyou have the feeling and you now what are learners experiencing more challenges and once you do your honours you will equip yourself with specific knowledge and skills

3. Competition is really fierce so, even though it is primary teaching you wish to do, I feel that having your honours behind you would still be really beneficial. But as suggested above, try and get some experience whilst doing your honours - that's exactly what I did this year. I've just finished my honours year and through my uni (Dundee) managed to get a placement in a local high school to make sure this was definitely the career path I wanted to take. You could even contact the primary school you went to and ask if you can get experience there. And as for teaching in Africa, you can always do that next summer but make it clear in your personal statement when applying for primary teaching that this is something you are planning on etc. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

4. I would have to agree that doing your honours would be better than not but gain experience at the same time. Becoming a scouts leader for example and some visits to primary schools in august before you apply would give you an edge because competition is tough.

5. Firstly, finish off your degree. Leaving now without honours and wanting to gain some experience instead is going about things a bit back to front. If you want to do primary teaching you'll need an honours degree in any case, regardless of the many routes in you'd be choosing (that might not be the case?)
    The other thing is whilst wanting to teach in Africa is a very 'noble' thing to do, and would I am sure be a great experience, if you want to do teach in a primary school in the UK, thats where you should be looking for experience. A year spent volunteering there, or perhaps with a youth programme would probably be better. Not only will that be more in line with the experience you'd be expected to have, it would probably help you to decide if primary teaching is what you want to do. My advice is schedule some time in every week at a primary school (your old one is always easiest!) and do that whilst studying for your honours.
    Good Luck.

6. Hi

Personally, I would finish your degree and get your Honours. You don't need an Honours degree (there are people on my course just now who have an ordinary degree) for primary teaching, but it is tough to get on the course so it would be to your advantage. Use this time to get as much experience of schools and working with children as you can. If you get an interview, all the questions are geared to finding out as much about your experiences as they can, so they can determine if you would be suited to the profession. Brownies (or similar) is an excellent place to start, but you must gain experience in the classroom as well. And especially the Scottish classroom, as they will want o know you have some idea about the Scottish curriculum, etc. Good luck