1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice required please

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by NathalieVale, Jun 13, 2015.

1. I am currently employed as a permanent L1 Teaching Assistant and work in Reception class. I have been told that, in September, I will be moving to a Year 3 class where the current TA is working at a L3 position. I have gained my L3 qualification but have been told that, in order to be paid as a L3, I will have to apply for a new job. These jobs, however, are newly created positions due to the expansion of the school and not the position to which I am already moving.

Can anyone please help or does anyone have any advice as to whether it is correct that I have to apply, or whether the Head is able to consider promoting me to L3 if they deem me to be suitable.

Thanks

2. Hello, I am interested in your question because I do not understand how you know if you are a level 1 or level 3. Is it down to the amount one is paid only? I have not heard that jobs are rated at levels. I have a level 4 qualification but am unsure whether I work or get paid in that capacity!!

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Your qualification may be one level but you can be paid at a different level. Schools my LA ask for people to be qualified at a certain level but pay the lowest salary. So you may have a degree but the job you apply for is advertised at the lowest TA pay level in my LA.

4. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

A L3 post usual comes with other responsibilities even if the TA is working in a class. My last post as Senior TA was L3 although I was the class TA also. I had responsibility for training/mentoring TAs, developing ICT in the school and creating resources for all the year groups, amongst other things! My replacement as class TA is paid at L1 as she has none of the extra responsibilities.

A level 3 TA is usually (certainly in my Primary) a very experienced TA who is able to take on the extra responsibilities.

You are paid for the job that you do, not for the level of qualification that you have. A teacher working as a TA could be paid as L1!

5. My original contract was for a L1 position. However, the new role will include interventions which are part of a L3 position.

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Interventions are not part of L3 in my school.Is the TA in y3, the post you are moving to paid as a L3 TA? Perhaps the school has decided to change the level of this position and it will no longer be a L3.

7. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

Most of our TAs carry out interventions and are all L1 TAs . As Wotton says, it sounds like the school are changing the level of the position.

8. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

This is such a grey area - and, as there are no national JDs or guidelines, every school will be different. We tend to start all our TAs as L2s, whatever qualifications they come in with (even if it's QTS). If they already have a L3 qualification, we would aim to move them up to L3 after a year - provided they can cope with the demands of that level. Likewise, if a L2 TA obtains a L3 qualification while working with us, we would do the same - after a year.

It's not just TAs - you would find that one school paid a teacher a TLR for a certain role, whereas another school just expected that teacher to carry it out for a mainscale salary.

9. Thanks for all the input. Seems this is a very grey area indeed, as you've said sunshineneeded.

Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just ask my line manager and Head whether they will consider making me up to L3. Think I'll do this once I've fully recovered from my bout of bronchitis and am firing on all cylinders though lol

Thanks again