1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Required for nearly NQT Computing Teacher

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by PersianCatLady, May 11, 2019.

1. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady New commenter

Hi All,

You may have read about my life on my PGCE course through my various posts on this forum since last September so thanks for reading another one of my posts.

My dilemma is that I have almost finished my PGCE course and I have as yet been unable to secure an NQT job for September.

There are very few Computing vacancies around but I have applied for all that are suitable and as yet I have not had a single interview.

Does anyone have any advice??

2. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

You need to sell yourself in your letter of application. What have you done on your PGCE over and above the norm that will make you stand out. Do you think you made an impact on those you have taught in your PGCE. Get a quote from your mentor that was given in feedback and throw that in.

3. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Have someone you trust to give you an honest opinion read your letter of application. You could also write to some of the schools that you applied for and ask them if they wouldn't mind giving you some feedback on why your letter of application wasn't good enough for you to be invited to interview (you may need to be a little gushing in order to get a response).

Not saying that this is the case for yourself but I have been on several panels and the standard of letter writing has often been a factor. Poor spelling and lack of structure can find your application making a swift trip to the round filing cabinet.

Additionally I have often been impressed by candidates who have asked to visit the school prior to interview to see if it would be a good fit for them, but make no mistake, if you visit prior to interview there will be making judgements about you during that time.

4. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

Which part of the country are you looking?

5. PersianCatLady

@diddydave - I have a bit of an issue with spelling and grammar, as in I think it is really important. So, I am really careful to ensure that I don't make mistakes with spelling and grammar. Thanks for your advice with regards to getting someone to check my letter though!!

@50sman - Most likely between Weymouth and Southampton as I live in the middle.

6. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

You probably have done this but sent up a TES job alert for all jobs wishing 20 miles of Bournemouth.

Also advertise your availability on CAS website - people there are always on the lookout for Computer Science teachers as there is a shortage.

7. PersianCatLady

@50sman - I have already set up the alert, just as you suspected but I hadn't thought of going on CAS. Thank you for your advice.

8. dalersmith

dalersmith New commenter

I would certainly agree with @diddydave and @tonyuk the letter to support applications is vital. Make sure you get it checked and that it is always in context for the particular school you are applying to, I used to have a letter that never failed to get an interview for teaching or middle leaders positions. I now need to update it so that I can move to SLT. One other thing I do is take the person specification, add a new column and state specifically how I fit their requirements, sort of an executive summary.
    Good luck on with search

9. PersianCatLady

@dalersmith
    Thank you for your advice.

I must admit I find the supporting statement very hard as I am the sort of person who prefers to use lists, tables and spreadsheets!!