1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice regarding Key stage 3 English

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Samrobinson90, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Samrobinson90

Samrobinson90 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am a college lecturer and teach GCSE English from the AQA board.

I have a friend who has asked me to work with her daughter who is in year 9 in both English literature and language from the Edexcel syllabus. I have looked on line for some information but just wanted some clarification from any secondary school teachers.

Is year 9 now a year in preparation for GCSEs? Are there no longer SATS but instead continuous assessment throughout year 9 that is aimed at building the skills required for year 10 & 11. When teaching AQA, they do actually have year 9 papers in preparation, but I can't seem to find any information for Edexcel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sam

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Yep.

Not sure what you mean here - do you mean a Scheme of Work produced by the exam board for Year 9?

To be honest, the assessment objectives for both AQA and Edexcel are pretty much the same, certainly for Lit (I say this as an examiner for AQA Lit who teaches Edexcel Lit). I think that's true for Language too. So, if you have some AQA materials that you are comfortable using, then just use that. After all, Year 9 is too early really to be teaching exam technique, so the differences between the exam formats really shouldn't matter at that age.

3. Samrobinson90

Samrobinson90 New commenter

Hi tb9605

Thank you so much for your response, I’ve spent some time looking through the exams and I was surprised at out similar they were to one another. The Edexcel language paper seems to have more short marked questions than AQA, but the AOs are practically the same.

Thank you

Regards

Sam