1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice re temporary contract

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Pippa10, Feb 28, 2012.

1. I would just like some advice here.
    As of December 2011, I have been working on - according to the statement of particulars, which is the only documentation I have - a temporary contract at a state school. On being hired, I was told verbally that the post would be mine until November 2012. The post became vacant when the permanent postholder adopted children and wanted to take a year off. The particulars I have simply say that my post is temporary - no mention of maternity leave or parental leave.

So, I have been happily jogging along thinking I was ok until the autumn. Then yesterday, the rug was pulled from under me when I was told the employee on leave wants to return in June. I was never told at any point that this might happen. I was told the post was mine until November. I am upset and annoyed because I have no chance of getting a job that starts in June, am unlikely to get any suppply work over that period and obviously will not be able to work in teaching over the summer holiday. The school I am at know that I declined another maternity cover contract offered to me at around the same time because it was due to end in May, and May is a very bad time to be looking for a teaching job.

Now I face being without any income from the end of May until the end of September at the earliest.

I'm assumiing as the contract is temporary I have no rights whatsoever - but does that verbal offer of a job until November, with no mention of any possible hindrance to that, really just count for nothing? I accepted the post under those conditions and I feel misled and used now.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Unless you have something in writing you have little redress other than their conscience I'm afraid. I would hunt about now for an alternative post and use the ability to give short notice to your advantage rather than wait for the rug to be finally pulled from under you.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

What notice period does your contract state? It might be that you could fine a job for after Easter, or when somebody starts maternity leave somewhere. If you notice period is not too long, you could leave before June.