1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice re: promise of supply work in new job not followed through.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by magpie89, Jul 17, 2019.

1. magpie89

magpie89 New commenter

Hello everyone.

I have taken a break from teaching whilst travelling for a year. I successfully applied for a new job whilst abroad (via Skype) containing former colleagues at a new school which was an easier process.

I was told that I wouldn't be paid for the summer but that I would get a week of supply work if I came back before the summer holidays.

I returned and met my new class for the day yet was told not to come in again as previously promised.

Do I have a leg to stand on with regards to unions etc?

I am missing out on much needed verbally agreed supply days and I don't know how to proceed.

Thank you in advance.

2. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

I think write it off. They clearly have no need for supply work. It’s likely verbal
    mention does not stand and they’ll be starting you as a new starter for September. Start afresh in September, with no union in the mix. I’d avoid starting a new job mentioning your union. You’ve been through an “easier” recruitment process and have a job. I’d let it be.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I agree. If you annoy them too much, they could simply give you your contractual notice on 1st September, and there would be nothing you could do about it. Annoying I agree, but I really doubt if you could prove anything if you did try to make a fuss.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Probably better to concentrate on finding work for the summer.

I presume you reminded them that they'd said you'd be able to do a week of supply? Of course it's possible that they were anticipating that coming a little earlier in the term rather than the last week or so, and so it's a bit late to ask now. Did you discuss it when they were arranging the "meet your class" day?

You wouldn't necessarily have got the pay for the supply days that quickly, so it might not have been as useful as you hoped anyway.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If you were a multi-millionaire who had time and funds to spare and really, really wanted to prove a point? Go ahead. You might just prevail at a tribunal depending on what was said and when, by whom and what records might exist. Maybe. But a union isn't going to take this on. It doesn't even sound like 50/50. I don't doubt you've been misled and an undertaking reneged upon but .......

Forget it. Sorry.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

One of the perils of supply work is schools books you for a week and then find they only need you for a day.

The extra few hundred pounds would be more than welcome, I assume, but it isn't worth risking the entire job.
    Find something else for the summer than will pay you much more than you are missing out on...Waitrose near me is advertising for casual summer staff.

towncryer, pepper5 and jlishman2158 like this.
  7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

This shows just how much things have changed-one of my NQTs was once paid for the summer for a September start because they were so desperate for teachers!

phlogiston likes this.
  8. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

I would rather be unemployed and homeless and starving than work for Waitrose et al.

9. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

What's wrong with working for a supermarket or any number of jobs.
    I remember a parent whose daughter was one of the best pupils I or any teacher had probably ever taught, her behavior, attitude, effort and achievement were exemplary and she was one of the nicest people you could meet.
    At a prize giving evening I was speaking to her dad and he referred to himself as 'just working in a supermarket' I and the other teacher I was with pointed out that he was also clearly a wonderful parent and had produced a fantastic daughter who would go on to university, and as far as I was aware, be the first in her family to achieve this.
    @krakowiak6. You do sound like a bit of a snob in your post.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  10. krakowiak6

No, not a snob. I am not rich enough to be a snob and nor do I have a PhD. It's just personal preference. I wouldn't want to work in a supermarket for £8.79 and hour for one. And I would find it boring sitting at a check out all day or scanning products (I see supermarket workers with a scanner scanning products for whatever reason that is). Why can't I not want to work in a supermarket if I don't want to?

11. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It all depends how much you need the money. If you can survive without a job for a period of time, fine. If you need the money coming in so that you can afford rent, food etc, you should be willing to take any job that comes up to cover those needs. You might be bored, but (guess what?) nearly everybody gets bored in their job at some point.

I know people with degrees who are working in supermarkets; I know people with degrees who are cleaning at MacDonalds. I spent many years working in a supermarket stacking shelves - boring, monotonous work with little reward - but it was necessary at the time. If you would ‘rather be unemployed and homeless’ than working in a supermarket, you need to think about your priorities, and maybe talk to people who are/have been unemployed and/or homeless. And never, ever start complaining about lack of money.

You come across as the epitome of what the Daily Mail would call a snowflake.

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

@krakowiack6 is that it's not a question of anyone wanting/ not wanting to work in a supermarket. It's a question of just getting work, any work, to pay bills and put food on the table. That means taking any work offered- if one can even get it. I've known people be refused because it was assumed they'd want to move on too soon to make it worth the training. :rolleyes:

Personally I think our 'services people are very much undervalued. They often work very hard for little more than minimum wage in often boring, repetitive often thankless jobs.
    I always made it my business to talk to and thank my cleaner / caretaker at school, to get to know them and often they were great people who were grateful to be 'noticed as people' rather than ignored.

It also had a bonus of ensuring my classroom was well cleaned/ bulbs in projectors replaced speedily etc. ;)

Absolutely spot on peter12171 :)

13. krakowiak6

No I don't come across as the epitome of what the Daily Mail would call a snowflake. If there are people in supermarkets stacking shelves etc, that's up to them but hey (guess what), why can't they get a job in their profession? The whole idea of going to university to get a degree is so you can get a decent job or career. Otherwise what is the whole point of doing A levels and then a degree? Of course there are other reasons why peope study on top of just wanting a good job or career such as enjoying a particular subject but if all you can do is work in a supermarket after studying A levels and degrees (and MAs and PhD), then what's the point??

14. krakowiak6

I'm just going to the supermarket now actually and I will ask the ladies working there if they have a degree lol

15. peter12171

We’ll have to agree to differ on that.

It’s not always up to them. Sometimes, quite often in fact, people have to do things that they don’t plan on doing. Why can’t they get a job in their own profession? There aren’t always enough jobs to go around and they might have been unsuccessful in interviews up to now - but they need some income.

I’d love to see your answer to a stroppy Year 10/11 who can’t see the point in education (and there are plenty of them). After all, what is the point?:oops:

16. peter12171

There will be plenty who don’t, but (having worked in a supermarket post-degree) I can emphatically state that there will be some that will have degrees.

(and, in case you hadn’t noticed, it’s not just ladies who work in supermarkets).

17. peter12171

I almost forgot, you say you would feel bored in a supermarket job and would rather be unemployed. As someone who has been unemployed at times, I would say you are very likely to end up bored if you’re unemployed.

18. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Don't forget the men who work there as well as the women, or do you assume that it is a low paid job that , you think, is only suitable for women.
    You are not doing yourself any favors at present, you may not be the person you sound like on this thread, but.
    My advice - when your in a hole, stop digging.

19. krakowiak6

You just called me the epitome of a snowflake because you've had to work in a supermarket until you got a job teaching and you were shocked that I wouldn't. Why couldn't you have done supply teaching instead as it pays 150 a day.

20. krakowiak6

@HolyMahogany yes I know men work in supermarkets too but I think there are more women than men esp on the tills. Right I will stop digging even though I haven't got into a hole from what I have said.