1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice re EYPS and GTP

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Abigailcedwards, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I would be really grateful for some advice. I am in the final year of my 2 year Foundation Degree in Early Years Education & Learning. I have a husband and three chn (9, 11 and 13). I work in full-time a Reception class at a primary school and my intention has always been to top up to a BA (Hons) in year 3, then use year 4 for GTP (My aim is to teach in Reception). However, we have very recently been told that we are the last group of students who will be fully funded to do EYPS alongside the BA (regardless of our geographical location), with a bursary at the end of it.
    I obviously want to get a good degree or I will not be eligible for GTP, but it seems daft to give up a fully-funded EYP place. I was awarded an Outstanding Academic Achievement award for my work in Year 1, so I can work hard, but is it going to be too much to do BA and EYP while working full-time?
    I would really appreciate any advice. Thankyou.

2. I would be really grateful for some advice. I am in the final year of my 2 year Foundation Degree in Early Years Education & Learning. I have a husband and three chn (9, 11 and 13). I work in full-time a Reception class at a primary school and my intention has always been to top up to a BA (Hons) in year 3, then use year 4 for GTP (My aim is to teach in Reception). However, we have very recently been told that we are the last group of students who will be fully funded to do EYPS alongside the BA (regardless of our geographical location), with a bursary at the end of it.
    I obviously want to get a good degree or I will not be eligible for GTP, but it seems daft to give up a fully-funded EYP place. I was awarded an Outstanding Academic Achievement award for my work in Year 1, so I can work hard, but is it going to be too much to do BA and EYP while working full-time?
    I would really appreciate any advice. Thankyou.

3. I finished my EYPS last year, having followed a similar route to you and I'm sure that you already know it is a tough course when you are working and have a family. EYPS is a good learning process but has limited value as a career progression. Job adverts rarely require EYPS - level 3 or QTS seems to be the standard requirement and because there is no payscale, there isn't really anywhere to go with it. I do not regret doing it at all - it definitely improved my practice and my confidence. It does enable you to work with the youngest children which must be of value in some work places. No question that the GTP will give you more career choices and a payscale. If the school where I work did the GTP, I would definitely have done both. Good luck x