1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice - possible move to head of key stage?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by h1storyg1rl, Feb 6, 2011.

1. I am currently HoD in my school, have been for a couple of years and the dept has done quite well. I've been encouraged by dep head to go for a head of KS role which is shortly becoming available. The teaching timetable is reduced from what I currently have although not by much and I would give up HoD. I like the idea of progressing into a pastoral role as well as achievement based but am concerned that it could be a thankless task and massive amounts of work. Not that I mind working hard but I need to know what I might be letting myself in for. Haven't had a pastoral role before besides that of form tutor. Any thoughts anyone? Have you done a similar move - good or bad experiences?

2. I am currently HoD in my school, have been for a couple of years and the dept has done quite well. I've been encouraged by dep head to go for a head of KS role which is shortly becoming available. The teaching timetable is reduced from what I currently have although not by much and I would give up HoD. I like the idea of progressing into a pastoral role as well as achievement based but am concerned that it could be a thankless task and massive amounts of work. Not that I mind working hard but I need to know what I might be letting myself in for. Haven't had a pastoral role before besides that of form tutor. Any thoughts anyone? Have you done a similar move - good or bad experiences?

3. i moved out of a hod role and became head of ks4. only personal opinion, but i feel the role is far more demanding than the hod position. if there are effective and robust systems/procedures in place for behaviour, data and attendance this will help you. i was concerned that i had little pastoral experience; only as a FT. however as ive found out, you learn quickly and your L/M skills are transferrable, its still about working with students and staff. despite finding it demanding im glad i made the step, i now feel much confident in preparation for my next step into SLT by demonstrating both a curriculum and pastoral understanding and how they fit together.

4. I have covered all areas...hod and hoy in 4 schools. I moved to my KS4 leader postion a few years ago and this has since moved to Assistant Principal for KS4.
    I would highly recommend the move as I see the role as a true combination of curriculum and pastoral. I can best describe my role as strategic curriculum decisions as well as the day to day pastoral work of dealing with, for example, disaffected teenagers who need bespoke timetables as well as mentoring, data analysis, acting as QN for BTECs, organising the prom and yearbook and leading staff training (to name just a few!)
    I would say be prepared for many things but it will give you a head start in aiming for a SLT position. I really enjoy my job and all the challenges it presents but mainly the ability to have an impact over the outcomes of around 360 students!
    Oh and be ready to lead and manage around 12-15 tutors ( if that is how it will work in your school ie no HOYs)
    Good luck and all the best whatever you decide.
    CB