1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice pls. How to deal with weak HoD

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by hadron, Feb 8, 2011.

1. New HoD arrives, brought in with much fanfare over internal candidates. New Hod has needed much hand holding, is 'all at sea', has not taught in this country for a while let alone managed coursework, internal moderation, mock exams etc.
    We are getting a little annoyed by all the hand-holding & guidance, particulalry since one of the internal candidates would have done a better job than the Newbie - but for the sake of the pupils' success and our sanity, we are now managing the Dept - with the HoD in tow.
    Needless to say, morale is low. Senior Management is unaware - and if we were to mention the problems would put it down as sour grapes. If we don't mention the problems then they think all is going well.
    We are torn between managing the dept (invisbly as far as SMT are concerened - they don't see a thing) and 'letting go'. The latter may mean pupils suffering & us 'fire fighting' as all the issues the HoD does not know she needs to address are left...... unaddressed.
    Sorry, a bit of a rant. Any advice welcome though.

2. New HoD arrives, brought in with much fanfare over internal candidates. New Hod has needed much hand holding, is 'all at sea', has not taught in this country for a while let alone managed coursework, internal moderation, mock exams etc.
    We are getting a little annoyed by all the hand-holding & guidance, particulalry since one of the internal candidates would have done a better job than the Newbie - but for the sake of the pupils' success and our sanity, we are now managing the Dept - with the HoD in tow.
    Needless to say, morale is low. Senior Management is unaware - and if we were to mention the problems would put it down as sour grapes. If we don't mention the problems then they think all is going well.
    We are torn between managing the dept (invisbly as far as SMT are concerened - they don't see a thing) and 'letting go'. The latter may mean pupils suffering & us 'fire fighting' as all the issues the HoD does not know she needs to address are left...... unaddressed.
    Sorry, a bit of a rant. Any advice welcome though.

3. I am new HoD and there is a mountain of things to deal with. Things take time to settle and change and so I would expect my staff to keep me in check for the 'way of the school'. All the things that I can't know yet, I appreciate that my staff reminds me.
    How long have you given your HoD to settle in? Have you tried talking to him/her?
    You don't sound very forthcoming to me...

4. you seem to be in exactly the same situation my department was in a couple of years. We had identical problems with the HOD who was brought in to do maternity cover. Also came from abroad, different exam boards, had no idea how coursework worked, orals, paperwork, had never heard of NC levels, could not plan. We all gave her a chance and helped her for a few months but I decided to mention the issues to SMT after the HOD forgot to organise some exams and quite a few things concerning the students directly had gone very wrong. The result was that at the end of the maternity cover the HOD was not offered the job to our great relief. I would suggest you try and talk to SMT.

Good luck

5. Yes I know what it is like too. I have a HOF on SLT promoted without an interivew.Has no idea what to do. I have no idea what this person does anyway. Teaching my subject. Does not prepare. I send lots of emails detailing what has to be done when. HOF then asks for materials and info that was in email because cant be bothered or too disorganised to look in advance. Have discovered that HOF did not complete correct paperwork for GCSE- why should I rectify this and hold this persons hand. They are supposed to know all this. I should not have to run around for a member of SLT as if they were an NQT.