1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Advice please

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by conar, Sep 20, 2020.

  1. conar

    conar New commenter

    Hello everyone,
    I am a qualified teacher of the deaf and a dyslexia teacher. I have just trained as an dyslexia diagnostic assessor. I work in a university on a self employed basis as a one to one support tutor. My problem is I am unsure how to secure work as an assessor. I am not attached to the university, just freelance so I am not sure how to actually start assessing. Is anybody qualified in this area who could advise me how I begin to assess? my course leader did not offer any suggestions.
    Thank you so much!
    Best wishes
    gorge441 likes this.
  2. Corvuscorax20

    Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

    All assessments for our students have to be done through the council. We do not accept any done privately.
  3. conar

    conar New commenter

    Thank you for replying. I do not want to work privately. I would like to work under an umbrella organisation. When you say council could you explain a little more? Should I contact my local education authority or do you mean the borough council?
  4. CarrieV

    CarrieV Lead commenter

    Our local authority ( county council) runs what is called the Specialist teaching service. They provide assessment services, including dyslexia, to schools in the county. You would need to check if your education authority provides a similar service.
    komaldipak likes this.
  5. conar

    conar New commenter

    oh, thank you so much, that is really helpful

Share This Page