1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by mahfuzx10, Nov 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mahfuzx10

mahfuzx10 New commenter

I wanted to make custom question papers but I find it extremely difficult to crop certain questions from multiple pdfs and then compiling it as one pdf file. Can someone please share how you do it and which software is required to do this. Thanks.

2. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

Due to copyright law, you should not be cropping and copying from other peoples PDFs unless you have permission from the copyright owner.

a51_ufo likes this.
  3. mahfuzx10

mahfuzx10 New commenter

Well, I meant making custom papers from old exam questions.

4. kghaye

kghaye New commenter

If you've got permission to crop and copy, try smallpdf.com and see if there's a way to do it there - lots of options available and a site worth bearing in mind for all sorts of jobs.

5. nwilkin

Old exam papers are under copyright of the exam board so you would need to ask for their permission first.

a51_ufo likes this.
  6. wordsmithDFA

wordsmithDFA New commenter

Stop spitting copyright law like you're an expert. We can read. Offer some help and guidance...

I use Microsoft's Screen Snip feature and Word. You can save docx files as PDF once all your snips are in place.

7. penyrheol1

penyrheol1 New commenter

Hello there wordsmithDFA. She is. You are obviously new to authoring her. nwilkin provides training sessions for authors for TES, is a very successful author herself and, I believe, has a solicitor in the family ( may be corrected here). Established authors are not going to help others break copyright when we are in fact trying to stamp out copyright infringements on the website. You are obviously not an established author as obviously do not mind infringing copyright and also are not aware that authors are not rude to others in this chat room. Please don't bother being rude to me as it will be like water off a ducks back. have a good day

MosaiK, a51_ufo, nwilkin and 2 others like this.
  8. Gdwaters1

Gdwaters1 New commenter

Absolutely echo what @penyrheol1 said. @nwilkin goes out of her way to help and support new authors (and I have found her advice very useful). A quick search on the resources pages makes it very clear that not every author is aware of copyright so it was a very valid point to make. Thank you for all you do @nwilkin!

MosaiK and nwilkin like this.
  9. wordsmithDFA

Fabulous. I just think that constantly going on about it is unnecessary. More positivity would be enlightening to see around here.

10. wordsmithDFA

Was it a valid point, though? Custom papers are owned by the person whom created them.

Assumptions about me will also be water off a duck's back. Ta.

11. Gdwaters1

Gdwaters1 New commenter

I think it’s a valid point if the OP wants to share them on TES, which as the thread is in the authors’ section, suggests that might be the case (although I’ll admit that’s an assumption). I don’t believe exam boards allow that unless you get written permission from them. For example AQA say ‘AQA materials must not be reproduced on third party websites – in any format’.

If would be frustrating for the OP if they went to lots of effort to create a resource to share, only to find out they were in breach of copyright (which obviously can also have legal ramifications).

MosaiK, nwilkin and penyrheol1 like this.
  12. wordsmithDFA

vcurrie19 likes this.
  13. vcurrie19

vcurrie19 New commenter

Definitely agree with what you're saying here

wordsmithDFA likes this.
  14. nwilkin

It may seem like bad news but if a potential author is led to believe that copyright law is an afterthought they will put their energy into creating something they may not be able to publish which is waste of energy. This author was asking how to take other people's PDFs which would need permission to use before they started cutting out sections to use. Too many authors are unaware of copyright law (judging from the comments on this and other forums) and it has huge implications for the platform.

I would not want another author to get into trouble just because they are unaware and so highlighted the bigger issue rather than simply tell someone how to break the law.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2019
    MosaiK and penyrheol1 like this.
  15. wordsmithDFA

16. wordsmithDFA

At no point was copyright advice even asked for. It isn't your responsibility to enforce it...that's why law is law.

Try accepting the fact that you're not the only one person who has researched it prior to production. Many people can read, themselves. We wouldn't be here if we weren't capable of it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  17. nwilkin

Old exam papers are under copyright and they admitted they were planning on using them and that would have breached copyright law. The author seemed unaware what they were asking for help with, is not allowed. They clearly had not done the research into it even though, as you said, they could have read about it. It is more likely they had not even considered if what they were asking was illegal and so had not thought to even look into it before posting their question. Therefore, I feel it was a justifiable concern to highlight.

I have seen many instances where authors have inserted cropped PDFs of old exam papers into their work and had no idea it is not allowed. By attempting to help the author avoid falling into the same trap I felt that was the best approach to take. I understand you want to take a different approach in your reply and prefer to tell them how to crop PDFs and that is up to you and an open forum such as this allows you to do that.

People will approach answering a question in different ways, some will focus on one area others will focus elsewhere. It all gives a full rounded answer and gives the author more information to help them. Attacking authors who are trying to help but have decided on a different tactic does not help anyone.

You seem to have taken the advice given to another author as a personal slur and have acted very aggressively towards me and in a way that I feel is unjustified. We both want to help the author and acting is such a manner is not the way to do that.

MosaiK, a51_ufo and penyrheol1 like this.
  18. wordsmithDFA

19. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hi,

Please can I remind everyone that the Tes Community is supposed to be a safe, friendly, welcoming and supportive space for colleagues to share best practice, information, advice and where applicable creative ideas.

Please remember to post in accordance with the house rules.

Code of Conduct

The TES Community is where anyone interested in education can come to debate and share advice, find others that share their interests and let off steam. We understand that some of the debates can get heated, but we expect our members to treat others with courtesy and respect. When posting a message on the TES Community, please use the same courtesy you would show when speaking face-to-face with someone.

Don’t forget that your use of the TES Community is subject to these guidelines and our terms and conditions.

Respect others
    • The TES Community has thousands of members who may not agree with your opinions or share your beliefs, but please be polite and respectful when communicating with other members.

MosaiK, penyrheol1 and nwilkin like this.
  20. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

MosaiK and nwilkin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.