1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Amazonaddict, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Amazonaddict

Amazonaddict New commenter

Has anyone got advice regarding Medical Deployment or Medical Retirement? Pros and cons of either option (such as receiving your pension earlier or do you still have to wait til you reach pension age? Employment in the future etc?)
    It is a long story and I do have the Union involved but am awaiting their response. Thanks in advance!

2. 1970devon

1970devon Occasional commenter

Hi I was dismissed due to ill health last year. Ill health retirement is not an easy option. Even with support of my union, my Gp and a team of 4 consultants all saying my health will not allow me to teach, my application is still ongoing. I am 48 and we did look at redeployment but in my county nothing suitable arose.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I appreciate you must not say on here, but it might depend on whether you are able to work in other areas-if, say, you are only 48, some people might be looking to train for a new career-you could well work for another 20 years DEPENDING on whether it is just teaching that is medically impossible now. Please don't say here, but talk to your union, as the answer might well be different-I'm not qualified to say. Many people wouldn't be capable of teaching might, for example, happily work in other roles.

agathamorse likes this.