1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by d43587, Dec 7, 2018.

1. d43587

d43587 New commenter

Due to personal physical health reasons, i have asked my governing body for a temporary reduction of hours. This would be reducing to a 4 day week. This is on the advice of my consultant.
    My Chair of governors has suggested I get a fit to work note from my doctor stating the need for a reduced working week.
    Can this be done?
    I've never taken time off before so not sure of the procedure.
    Thank you

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Yes just ask your consultant/go for one.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Talk to your GP, who should be aware of your consultant's advice and will hopefully write the letter. If not and you don't have a hospital appointment for a while, you could try ringing or emailing the consultant's PA. The main hospital switchboard staff should be able to give you contact details. Hope you are on the way to recovery soon.

4. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Yes - just ask your GP for a fit note along these lines and give it to your school. The school is effectively put on notice that medical opinion is that you are only fit for work if certain adjustments are made, so it is in their interests to follow that advice.

5. MsBehaving

MsBehaving New commenter

Could I suggest you give "nhs fit for work" a call? Totally confidential advice service . . . as it's already been said it is in the interest of the employer to make reasonable adjustments. Good luck