1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rhvd29, Mar 20, 2018.

1. rhvd29

rhvd29 New commenter

Hello,

I work as part of a fairly small team in a primary school abroad and I am seeking some advice from other professionals.

It seems that none of our teams ideas are being heard by our head of department and there is a serious case of ticking boxes. All of the team offer excellent ideas and they fall on deaf ears.

Even when we sit down in staff meetings and voice our ideas and opinions we are not told no straight away - it is a wishy washy response before it is then written formally in an email afterwards.

Any ideas or advice on what we could do as a team?

Thanks

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Stop giving them ideas? Or if you do, be selective in the ones you do and back them up with as much evidence as possible. If we get all the kids to wear silly hats then they'll be so distracted by those we'll see a reduction in behaviour issues as shown in this research in Educational Rubbish to sell to schools.

JohnJCazorla and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Without some idea of what sorts of things you are suggesting, or the potential constraints your HoD is working under, it is hard to say.

Do you feel that there is anything particularly poor in your provision, or is it a case of improving on existing good practice? It may be that your HoD simply disagrees, it may also be that they need to think about it for a while. In my experience, management will often 'forget' about ideas rather than write an email with a decision, so in some respects I would say your meetings are being treated seriously rather than 'wishy washy'.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

How are the emails phrased?

"After due consideration I feel that ...."

What? We haven't the money/experience/staff/time?

What reason is given (if any)?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Bequia2000

Bequia2000 New commenter

Put your suggestions in emails too, so you have a record, and can express your ideas fully without interruption. Back up with how and why these suggestions are great.