1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please?

Discussion in 'English' started by deanjp, Jun 9, 2016.

1. deanjp

deanjp New commenter

Hi everyone,

Im looking to gain some advice, I am 20 years old and as of October this year I will be studying BA (Hons) English Language and Literature and then looking to do my PGDE after I graduate, which of course isnt for a good few years yet.

I hated english at school and to be honest I didnt even like school nor was I the best behaved person in school, which looking back on it now, I do regret and would love to be a teacher that gets kids engaged and excited in lessons whether its their favourite subject or not.
    I studied my TEFL qualification and I found it really interesting both on the actual English Language but also the teaching metholodgies etc.. Once I finish that qualification I really decieded that teaching is something I might actually be good at and really enjoy hence going on to study my degree.

I am just looking for some advice from people who maybe joined teaching a little later in life compaired to people who went straight from school to uni to become a teacher, or anyone else who didnt particularly enjoy school and then went on to to be a teacher, what was your experience like? how did you find it? and just any future advice you may have for me.

Thanks! :)

2. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

I hated school, but I loved Sixth Form - from this my mind was easily made up . . . My career has took me since into schools and Sixth Form Colleges - I love them all for lots of different reasons. Having a passion for your subject (cliched but true) and a genuine enjoyment of working with young people is essential. Plus, schools are very different places when you are an adult, although it's still 'luck of the draw' if the dinners are nice! ;)

deanjp likes this.
  3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I try to give my students the polar opposite of my school experience. I wasn't a particularly good student, but I did get good grades so I guess I was left alone. Can't say I loved learning until after my degree when I did my CELTA. From there it grew.
    You sound like you'd be a great teacher, not just because you've experience, but also because you know what **** lessons are, and it sounds like you want to avoid producing them.
    Congratulations on finding your passion in an unexpected place! (Encourage that in your students and you'll be doing them a massive favour too.)

VeronicAmb and deanjp like this.
  4. deanjp

deanjp New commenter

Thanks! I also love how teaching can be flexible in that sense of where to teach, totally opens up new horizons. Well you know the school dinners are...I was going to kid myself were not important but lets get our prioritys straight here the food has to be good:p

bob79 likes this.
  5. deanjp

deanjp New commenter

´
    I guess thats what I want to do is show them the complete oposite of what I had as well. You sound like a great teacher with some awesome ideas!
    Thanks, I do hope that I make a good teacher, im very excited for October to come to start the degreee not so excited for the work that comes along with it :p Its always great when you find something that you didnt even know was there, especially when it is something I wasnt even interested in in High School.

roamingteacher likes this.
  6. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I wasn't the best student either. I was a troubled and naughty student that always bad-mouthed and answered back from 3rd grade up until sixth form. I just hated being told what to do. But I did enjoy sixth form much better as they were less strict.

I found my love for English and teaching at the end of year 11 when my English teacher inspired me!
    One thing that attracted me to teaching is teaching and guiding students that were like me when I was a student. The ones that needed to be challenged in their work rather than challenging authority. I still deal with this on a weekly basis as HoD and I love it because you can make a difference (cliche too) but so true.

I was in publishing a few years. Then once I had my first born, I went into teaching that was hard because of having a child, getting married very early and so forth. But in terms of getting back into education wasn't that difficult - the challenge nowadays is staying in education.

I would probably suggest you work abroad whilst your still young as in teach in a foreign country like Canada or China. I wish I did this when I was young but didn't have the opportunity. Schools in England will still be here if you decide to come back and teach!

Good on you for studying Lang and Lit. I've come across too many teachers that have no idea how to teach Lang because of no prior experience with the subject apart from GCSE. So enjoy it - uni will surely be one of the best moments of your life. It sure as hell was mine!

roamingteacher likes this.