1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Sdsmith123, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Sdsmith123

Sdsmith123 New commenter

Hello,

I'm sad to say I am writing one of the 'leaving teaching' posts and sad to see there are so many!

I am in my second year of teaching and have made the decision that this will be my last year. It isn't a decision I have come to lightly!

I've had back problems since May this year and I am currently off work due to this. I have been off work since December 9th and my doctor has signed me off until January 31st. I felt massive guilt about this but I physically am unable to work currently and I've gotten over the guilt and am putting myself first!

I am a year 5/6 teacher and so have SATS later this year. Ideally I would like to leave at Easter, however this seems 'unfair' as the children have SATS, residential, school play etc.

Has anyone been in the position of leaving a year six class mid way through the year?

I think I could last until Summer and am aware this may be more beneficial in terms of being paid over the Summer!

Also, if I did decide to leave at Easter, will my current absence from school effect that in any way?

Thank you for any advice in advance!

2. old_dobbin

old_dobbin Occasional commenter

Whatever time of year or date you leave, you will be replaced and life will go on. I seen colleagues leave their teaching posts after 25 years of service and within a few weeks it was as if they had never been there. My advice is to leave when it best suits you and when it is most advantageous to you personally. By all means give the required notice and don't break your contract but when you have left someone else will deal with SATS and the school play-no-one is irreplaceable.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

notsonorthernlass likes this.
  4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Life is for living. If your job is horrible and it has become your life, that means it's time to go. Jump before you're pushed. Take the sick pay while the state still provides that safety net. Use the NHS while it still exists. As said, no one is irreplaceable so have no qualms about reclaiming your life and quitting the job. I've walked away from unreasonable demands before now and still kept going in teaching.
    I take it that if you are in your second year, you are still in your twenties. You should enjoy being young. If you have no personal or family ties, the world is yours for the taking. Take a dumb job in a beautiful place, be a ski/beach rep., walk people's dogs for them, get a market stall, get an allotment. (I have done all of the above). I had my retirement in my twenties in case I didn't survive into old age or was too burned out at 65 to follow my dreams and it was great fun, not very remunerative but the bohemian in me got the upper hand. I never bothered with the rat race until I was in my late thirties and now I'm knocking sixty I don't regret it.

5. splinters

splinters Established commenter

Agree with all the above, dont be a martyr. You might be thanked for plodding on but you are replaceable and you will be. A damaged back is not as easy to put right and making it worse will affect the quality of the rest of your life.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Unfair? It's life. People come and go. Parents die! Teachers die!

What about schools that have had to close because of the floods? Not great. That's a lot worse than you not being there. And how do you know they won't get someone better? I don't say that they will but
    a/ they might
    b/ how useful will you be if you're suffering? I bet you'd be jolly irritable with a bad back. That's only human.

If you are leaving at Easter then make sure you hand in your notice at the right time. Yes, if you stuck it out over the summer you would be paid until August 31st.

You decide. But you provide the labour and school provides the pay.

And it's absolutely true that you'll be gone and virtually forgotten within a day or two.

Same for me. When I left I had a host of ex-students and my current group come to a get-together on my last afternoon (not my idea - my TA organised it) and it was all emotional and blah blah. But we all just got on with our lives. Another day, another dollar.

In short, if you muck about with your health you'll be no good to yourself or to anyone else for a very long time. So don't.