1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Scousesquirrel, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Scousesquirrel

Scousesquirrel New commenter

Hi,

Firstly I'm new to this forum so I apologise if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I could do with some advice. I am a HLTA in a primary school, and we have an ... enthusiastic head. One of the main problems is that he can have selective hearing.

Last year I ran an after school club, this year I decided not to do it again as it cost me money and was a big strain. However after talking to my head we reached a compromise and I agreed to continue.

I have managed to get some help from two people willing to run it with me and after discussion we have decided that it would start after half term - we need to gather supplied together. However my head has, today, told the parents it will start next week. I can not start the club till the supplies arrive, which will be half term, and have told him this. I really don't want to get in to a row but know that he will basically pressurise me to do it or not listen to a word I say.

I would like advice about where I stand and how to deal with it short of telling him to cancel the club all together.

Many thanks in advance.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Perhaps one strategy to consider is to meet with the HT and clarify that after half term means just that. If you start earlier without resources it will reflect badly on the school and you would not want to be party to that. Explain that preparation will be necessary if the activity's success is to contribute to the school's success.

If that doesn't cut it, tell him to cancel the club because you will not willingly be party to failure.

FolkFan and monicabilongame like this.