1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please!!!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by dmrsie_102, Jun 12, 2015.

1. dmrsie_102

dmrsie_102 New commenter

Hello, I've just been offered a job in a small village near to the town I live in as an NQT. I have just moved back in with my parents after university in another part of the country. However while I'm thrilled about the job I am starting to freak out about the problems of keeping my professional and personal lives separate.

my parents have lived here for years and they have a massive social circle in the town that is quite an influential group of people. During ITT i kept my personal life completely separate by telling few people exactly where I worked (I tried to be as vague as was polite except with really close friends) and never shared specifics about the job. However I am now really worried that my parents have told everyone in their social circle that I have got my first job - and exactly where I got it. I an worried that now they know where I work it will only take a few stupid words spoken my my parents in the wrong ear and it could get back to the school through a network of people.

i'm aware that it would be solved if I told them nothing....but it is hard to live with people and say absolutely nothing, even vague things. I tried to talk to them about it but they think I'm overreacting and that 'its going to happen eventually' and 'they don't see the problem'.

Am I overreacting or should I push them further to ensure they don't discuss me with their friends?

Any advice would be massively appreciated!

2. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

I'm basing my response entirely on the information you've posted here.

Yes, you're over-reacting. You are worrying about things you are presuming without evidence. Just get on with it, act professionally (as in part two of the Standards!) and trust in what your parents say.

Deal with any problems if and when they occur.

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Intrigued, what have you done that you are so ashamed of?

4. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Exactly.

5. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

The vast majority of people wouldn't report small talk to the local school.

I think most people's reaction, even if their child attended that school, would be "Oh wonderful, I hope _______ has you as their teacher!"

I'd say you are over-reacting, unless you are hiding something.

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You just need to make sure that you keep your professional life as separate from your personal life. You can talk vaguely about school with your parents ("Today was tough, it was really hard to get a couple of the boys to listen"), but nothing specific ("Oliver and Josh were doing my head in today, they wouldn't listen and then claimed it was my fault they didn't know what to do so refused to do the work").

I lived with my parents during my NQT year and all their friends knew where I worked. It didn't cause any issues. I talked freely with my parents (in a professional manner - not naming names or discussing anything personal to do with my pupils, not complaining about the school, etc) and they talked freely with their friends. Anything could, potentially, have "got back to the school"... but why would it matter if it did? I was happy for them to know I enjoyed the school trip, or that I'd had a tough week. If I wouldn't be happy for them to hear something, I wouldn't discuss it with others.