1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Moisy, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

Hi there,
    How do you stop yourself getting upset when you walk in on your staff and they are moaning/talking about you or a decision you have made or something you have said at a staff meeting?

2. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

Hi there,
    How do you stop yourself getting upset when you walk in on your staff and they are moaning/talking about you or a decision you have made or something you have said at a staff meeting?

3. It is hard to think that people complain about things behind your back. When I first became a HoD I asked that we all pull together and that any issues we had, we kept within the dept, My team was (and still is) second to none. As a leader, I think as long as you are clear in your own mind why you are doing something, and why your decisions are made (sometimes in the light of things that staff know nothing about) you cannot go far wrong. You will carry the can at the end of the day, after all. They probably feel more uncomfortable than you do. It worries me that SLT are sneered at and vilified on these fora in the way they are, I am sure some of them deserve it, but surely not all??! If it is something specific get them in and express your disappointment that they didn't feel they could come to you with their concerns and give them a chance to do so. If you want to be even stronger I think I am right in saying that undermining the HT can be a sackable offence?

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

What do you mean?
    How would that make you even stronger?
    How on earth would staff having a moan and groan, be ever seen as, 'a sackable offence'?
    If that is the case, then there will be a lot of vacancies as I have yet to sit in a staff room and not heard the odd moan!

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You sniff your pay packet and spend time with your friends once out of work.

6. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

Thanks everyone.
    I know I was right in what I said,not as a matter of principle but as a matter of fact and I wouldn't go back on that. I know I have the whole school's best interest at heart but to get things running the way I want I seem to be on my own. I can have those "difficult" accountability conversations if I need to but it still plays on my mind when I find them mocking me or complaining. Don't get me wrong, I know what staffrooms are like and I know we all need to let off steam now and again, but how do you more experienced Heads than me get through it without getting upset yourself?
    I am not looking to sack anyone, it is more about me than them really.

7. I didn't mean to imply that you were after doing that at all, and I would hope that I offered some supportive suggestions as well. I can't see them now though...