1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by erimus, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Hi, I would appreciate a bit of advice on the situation I am in at the moment. I have just reached my 16 month limit on supply having only completed 1 term of my NQT year. Having spoken to the council, she took my details and then got back to me saying they had no evidence I have ever done my 1st NQT term as they have no forms or anything on file. I contacted the school who said they have had problems with this person who deals with it at the council and that the forms were sent so they should be able to find them and to save any other problem, they have sent them again. Surely someone should take the blame for this? I only found out about this by chance and at the moment I am unable to do anymore supply until my extension is granted and this whole NQT mess up is slowing it down!!!

2. Hi, I would appreciate a bit of advice on the situation I am in at the moment. I have just reached my 16 month limit on supply having only completed 1 term of my NQT year. Having spoken to the council, she took my details and then got back to me saying they had no evidence I have ever done my 1st NQT term as they have no forms or anything on file. I contacted the school who said they have had problems with this person who deals with it at the council and that the forms were sent so they should be able to find them and to save any other problem, they have sent them again. Surely someone should take the blame for this? I only found out about this by chance and at the moment I am unable to do anymore supply until my extension is granted and this whole NQT mess up is slowing it down!!!

3. What advice are you looking for?
    Advice on how to make sure someone takes the blame, which seems to be what you're asking, or advice on how to move it forward?
    Why do you care if someone gets blamed or not? In your position, I'd be more interested in getting it resolved so it doesn't hinder you. So ... ask the school to give you a copy of everything (and make a note to yourself to keep a copy of everything in the future as well).
    You can then send a copy of the copy to the person at the council, or even take it to them, and then you know it has all been received. If you can't take it, perhaps send it by registered post so that it gets signed for.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Most Councils have a formal registration process for NQTs and if the school have not done this then there would be no record. Schools are very quick to blame LA's and in my experience the falult may be elsewhere. Your copy of the assessment forms is evidence of having completed a term so you can send these to the Named Person for NQTs at the Council. They can then update your information on the GTCE.
    One word of advice is always to conduct your communication with schools and LA's in writing as there is then a record should you need to follow up.