1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Please!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by essentiallyprincess, Jul 6, 2011.

1. You can differentiate for letters and sounds. Do you have a TA? It means you and your TA swapping focus groups when there are 2 groups not working with an adult they can do practice work alone. Magic bags can be done by a sensible group, phoneme spotters can be done independently. Look at mantle of the expert for some ideas how you can cover the curriculum with a creative based approach - I have not personally used it but I am desperate to try. I also feel that mantle of the expert can just help you 'think' how to teach the skills in a creative way even if you are not following the method exactly.

2. zannar

zannar New commenter

I have a mixed age class. I work with one group, my TA with another and the other 2 on independent tasks, often games or computer games to reinforce previous learning. These groups are fairly fluid as I know which children need work on specific areas from looking at their work. I don't follow a rigid plan (shock ,horror ,You know who won't like that, etc) but I find that some children may need help with adding ing, others with split digraphs( or the magic 'e') and so on. My groups therefore, do not match my ability groups for writing or reading.
    It sounds complicated but if you know your children you know who needs what and when.
    I feel that there is no point in teaching something the children are confident with and have shown the ability to use on a regular basis, just because it says so on the plan.I prefer to target needs as I find them.

I apologise for any grammatical errors but at this time of night I don't care[​IMG]. I hope you can make sense of what I have said.