1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lara mfl 05, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Possibly ask some colleagues what her interests are.
    I know I'm presently looking at a Thank you gift & her sister suggested a voucher for a manicure, something I personally would never have considered. It really is a case of finding out if she's a pampering/energetic outdoor/ hobbies type & then finding something suitable.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I agree with Lara - do find out from someone - it would be such a shame if you bought something that wasn't to her taste.
    If it was me, I'd love a voucher for a beauty salon - a facial at the end of term would be so relaxing!
    However, you may want to buy something more lasting than that - a photo frame for instance or a piece of silver jewellery.
    Best check. Lovely idea though. I'm sure she'll appreciate whatever you decide.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I got a fab necklace last summer from my then TA. I love it and wear it loads.

I also got a scarf from the other then TA. I hate it and have never ever worn it, though I do wear scarves an awful lot.

You do need to be really careful and talk to others about what she will like. Vouchers are the best thing really, though it feels impersonal. A general beauty salon voucher would work for me, but one for a facial would not.

4. She does wear a lot of silver bracelets, it would fit the ''lovely'' box lol
    but I wanted something meaningful. She is not the facial or spa type. Mmm still thinking.
    Maybe something she could use in class. What would have loved as a teacher who's been teaching for only 4 years?

5. Sorry I meant :
    What would you have loved as a teacher who's been teaching for only 4 years?

6. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I'm in my second year of teaching and I'm a stationery freak. So I would love a little (big!) gift box full of highlighters, post-its in different shapes, clicky pencils, biros in all colours, coloured whiteboard pens etc. I use lots of these every day, I never have enough!

7. Is this not what the stationary cupboard is for? Im not sure I would appreciate a box of stationary!

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

music is a bit mundane i suppose.amybe of her fav band;singer from a different to what she has collection...or a subsription for a year to say i tunes?
    dont buy pottry or the ilk....
    be grateful yur not buying for a man.far harder to think up an idea! lol

9. I'd quite like a box of lovely stationery goodies!
    What a lovely idea to buy her a nice gift. I agree with everyone else: you need to ask around at school and find out what is most appropriate for her.

10. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I'm not sure about the school you work in, but in my school we only get boring yellow square post-its - and there are so many interesting shapes and colours out there! We also only get yellow highlighters, but I love to use other colours in my folders and on plans and in my diary. We don't get clicky pencils or coloured whiteboard pens and if I want a biro from the cupboard it is only ever red, black or blue.
    So, stationery is a great present for me.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL Sillow! You sound like me. I'd be dead pleased with a box of bits, I'm not a student finishing though and I wouldn't expect any such thing from students to me. Maybe a box of choccies or a pot plant for their classteacher though...just to show willing.

My class have started asking me what I want for an end of year pressie. I said a pack of whiteboard pens in pretty colours, as school only give us boring black.

I also said I need some more pretty post its as they have used nearly all the ones I had and school only has boring yellow square and rectangle ones.

And I only use clicky pencils, but lose them constantly. A jumbo pack would be fab. Twisty ones are actually preferable to clicky, but either is fine as a pressie.

12. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I'd still be pleased, even as a student! Does that mean I'm weird?!
    Ah, but with clicky ones you can click them on one-handed. I find this useful for all kinds of reasons in the classroom, depending on how you do it and what look you have on your face!

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But you have less control over the amount of lead...

14. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

That is true, but you can send it back in by clicking and pushing at the same time!

15. That was really interesting, fascinating information. I?ve also found this website to be useful GED

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But then breakages are likely...

Great to see someone else who loves clicky pencils nearly as much as me! Might need tog o and do the work I ought to be doing now though!

17. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I have long-since abandoned my marking. I suppose I'll have to do it tomorrow morning!
    I picked up a clicky pen today and went to use it but it had no lead. Someone had put it back in my pot, rather than throw it away and now I don't have any... Grr!
    Sorry, OP, to have hijacked your thread! If not stationery, then I agree with perhaps a voucher. The thought will more than make up for not getting an "actual" present and then she can go and choose herself.
    Or I did get a really nice little ceramic clock once that says "Time is the best teacher... Next to you, of course!". I keep it on my desk and think of the person who gave it to me whenever I look at it.