1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by wookster, May 22, 2011.

1. Hi

I am about to apply for a teacher position in a small primary school that has only 2 classes - yr R,1 and 2 and Yr 3,4,5 and 6.

The position is for KS2 and although I am used to working in mixed age classes of 2 year groups, I was just wondering how people approach teaching 4 year groups in one class - I assume the curriculum works on a 4 year rolling programme.
    Could someone talk me through how they would tackle things like numeracy/literacy planning ?
    and the positives/negatives of having ks2 together

thanks wookster

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Worry not! Just teach to their ability. It's no different from my Y4/5 class who have levels from 2b to 5a. You are likely to have a pretty small class too, so you can personalise learning and tailor to ALN really well. Go for it. The only downside I can see is that there would be a really small staff so you's better get on with everyone. Look around the school first.

3. thanks for your reply
    yes i can cope with the range as in my year 5/6 class last year i had level w to level 5 - nightmare!
    i am worried where i would start with the objectives for numeracy/lit?
    Unfortunately I haven't got time to look around the school as the closing date is 9.00am tomorrow!
    I have driven out to look at it, it looks lovely in a beuatiful village setting.

I think there are 23 chn in the class so a lovely size, if I have TA as well that could help.

4. nacca

nacca New commenter

<font size="2">Hi</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">I teach a 3, 4, 5 & 6 class - hardest job I've ever had! The attainment levels of children are from 1- 5. Differentiation is the key obviously! </font><font size="2">Literacy actually isn&rsquo;t too bad as the children can all access the texts at varying levels! Maths is harder and when you need QUALITY support. We have a four year rolling programme. </font><font size="2">Maturity is the biggest issue - when year 3 join they seem very young (surprises me every year!) but they have to &lsquo;grow up&rsquo; quickly.</font><font size="2">You&rsquo;ll get to know the children &lsquo;inside out&rsquo; and develop relationships with the whole family but if you have a child that really irritates you - 4 years is a long time! </font> Good luck with that application!