1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please

Discussion in 'Music' started by atics, May 21, 2011.

1. Hi- I'd really appreciate some advice from experts!
    Normally I'm over in the Maths Teachers forum but I have a music-related question.
    It is a dream of mine to learn to play the piano. I have always been put off music as I was appparently lacking any discernible talent in this area (so parents have always said) and so it isn't an avenue I've followed. I do struggle with co-ordination anyway (can't do any sports!) and I am told I have a bad sense of rhythm and timing.
    However, listening to music is a huge passion of mine, and in particular piano/vocal music such as the likes of Adele's 'Someone Like You'. I can't really afford lessons and definitely can't afford a piano, but I was considering buying a keyboard and trying to teach myself. Do you think this is possible? It's something I'd love to do, but I don't want to spend money buying a keyboard and finding I'm just too hopeless to bother. I don't expect to become a concert pianist or anything, just want to do it as a hobby and maybe learn to play a few of the songs I like listening to.
    If I do get one, are there any keyboards that would particularly suit me? I can't spend a fortune but I don't want to get something that's cheaper but not good enough, and give up learning because of this.
    This is what I'm thinking about at the moment: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0029RPJIK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0HRJXNW1S6CVQ0HJGZQN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294
    Also is it possible to learn from books, and if so, are there any good ones I could start with?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hi, atics, someone has been really negative and mean to you, haven't
    they! I'm really glad that it hasn't put you off music permanently. I
    teach African drumming and it's amazing how many people initially tell
    me that they have "no sense of rhythm," often because someone has told
    them so ! However, that almost always turns out to be untrue. We are
    born with a sense of rhythm and time, and it just takes a bit of use,
    experience and encouragement to bring it out and refine it.
    I
    don't know how easy it is to teach yourself to play keyboards, that's
    for others to answer, but I would definitely recommend a term or two of
    African drumming classes to build up your confidence in and awareness of
    your rhythmic abilitiies! It's fun and accessible from the start and
    it'll also feed into all your other musical endeavours. It also tends to
    be cheap to do, because it's taught in groups - and that makes it a
    very sociable activity too. I run classes in various Yorkshire towns,
    and you can email me if you're interested in those, but if you're
    further afield it shouldn't be too hard to find something local to you.
    For
    those very rare people who genuinely do lack the co-ordination to get
    started in drumming, I know a great teacher who sends such people away
    to find a dance class for six months, then invites them back!
    Good luck with your music-making. If it is your passion you have to go for it!

b.ayengio@yahoo.co.uk