1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mad dog, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Mad dog

Mad dog New commenter

My in laws (late 60s, still spritely) have just had an enormous hospital built behind their house in Blackpool. Every night they are kept awake by the noise from the air conditioning (it overlooks their back garden).
    So far they have contacted Citizens Advice, local Council etc but no one seems to want to do anything real to help them.
    The big worry is that my father in law is in remission from lymphoma and needs his sleep.

2. Mad dog

Mad dog New commenter

My in laws (late 60s, still spritely) have just had an enormous hospital built behind their house in Blackpool. Every night they are kept awake by the noise from the air conditioning (it overlooks their back garden).
    So far they have contacted Citizens Advice, local Council etc but no one seems to want to do anything real to help them.
    The big worry is that my father in law is in remission from lymphoma and needs his sleep.

3. Get on to the environmental health department at the local council. They can come and measure the noise levels. If it is too loud they HAVE to do something.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Local council and / or MP?
    Doctor - for supporting letter?

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Sorry - missed the bit about them contacting the council. More haste, less speed etc.

6. Oh dear, not meaning to state the obvious, but these folk are not going to relocate the machinery of the hospital for your convenience. Did you not object at the planning stage?
    The fact of an illness in the family makes no difference to the inconvenience caused in law, I'm afraid.

7. Double/ treble glazing and insulation might help. Everest advertise on tv extolling the noise preventing virtues of their glazing product. Given the age and situation of your in laws the council might have some sort of grant available to them.
    Tell them to look a little less spritely if the can get the council to visit.
    They won't be the only neighbours to suffer the noise problem. If you go the double glazing route tell the firm that it would be good publicity for their company to sort the problem.
    Ideally you want the council and the double glazing firm working together for the good of your in laws. (they'll actually be working for their own publicity.) Speaking of which dropping the local paper's name in pleasantly wouldn't hurt.
    My mum applied for and got a grant for double glazing despite the fact that she'd had it installed about a year before. She'd found that the grant was available and went for it despite being called a daft old goat with no chance of suceeding by supportive dad.