1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by h4zelh, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I have a PGCE interview and really need to observe some primary school lessons. I have phoned several schools in Derby and I only get through to the receptionist, who tells me to email the head teacher, which I do. I then hear nothing back. Does anyone have any advice as my interview is March 4th and I really need to do some work in a school in the next couple of weeks.
    Is there a better way to approach this? I would like to do this until the end of the year.

2. Hello,
    I have a PGCE interview and really need to observe some primary school lessons. I have phoned several schools in Derby and I only get through to the receptionist, who tells me to email the head teacher, which I do. I then hear nothing back. Does anyone have any advice as my interview is March 4th and I really need to do some work in a school in the next couple of weeks.
    Is there a better way to approach this? I would like to do this until the end of the year.

3. How far are you willing to travel? I might be able to help.

4. Hi, good luck with your interview!

When you have emailed the head, have you asked to 'observe' some lessons, or have you asked if you can do some voluntary work in the classroom? I think there is quite a difference, and obviously you will be wanting to discuss your experience during your interview.

If you do not get any success, try writing to the head direct, by traditional post, outlining your strengths, and offering your services, even if it is just a half day a week/fortnight, you may need to do at least a term or half-term to make it worth while. That way you will get some valuable experience and be more credible as a prospective teacher.

Best of luck.

5. I explained my situation in the email and my strengths. I have asked to do 'work experience' until the end of the school year.

I am willing to travel.

6. I wish you every success, just trying to be helpful here. I know from personal experience that headteacher's email inboxes get ridiculously full, mainly with spam, and sometimes emails can get deleted unintentionally, but a letter that arrives in an envelope is more likely to receive attention.

7. I would physically go to the school and ask to speak to someone about it in person. Thats how I got practice before my PGCE.
    Good luck x

8. What is your e-mail address?

9. I will send you a private message with it on