1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by henriette, Jan 26, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

Here's the situation:
    • I am HoD at a "bog standard" comp (sat aspiring to be good)
    • I am 48 and my family's chief wage earner on UP3 + top 2 TLR
    • <u>If</u> I want to finish my career elsewhere I need to move (I reckon) before I'm 50
    • I've seen a job advertised at an accessible private girls' school - salary would prob be equivalent to UP3 + TLR 1
    • I was privately educated myself, as was my husband and both our children went to private primary schools so I have no ethical difficulties with paid-for education.
    Questions:
    <ol>[*]Despite my personal experience of private schools, would they laugh in my face because I have only worked in "ordinary" state schools? I speak quite "posh" even when surrounded by my chavvy darlings![*]Do I want to/Should I apply? or am I just being tempted by greener grass?
    [*]I feel this might be a happy way to end my career - am I dreaming????</ol>Does anyone have any good advice? I have a fairly fragile ego and hate being knocked back!

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

Here's the situation:
    • I am HoD at a "bog standard" comp (sat aspiring to be good)
    • I am 48 and my family's chief wage earner on UP3 + top 2 TLR
    • <u>If</u> I want to finish my career elsewhere I need to move (I reckon) before I'm 50
    • I've seen a job advertised at an accessible private girls' school - salary would prob be equivalent to UP3 + TLR 1
    • I was privately educated myself, as was my husband and both our children went to private primary schools so I have no ethical difficulties with paid-for education.
    Questions:
    <ol>[*]Despite my personal experience of private schools, would they laugh in my face because I have only worked in "ordinary" state schools? I speak quite "posh" even when surrounded by my chavvy darlings![*]Do I want to/Should I apply? or am I just being tempted by greener grass?
    [*]I feel this might be a happy way to end my career - am I dreaming????</ol>Does anyone have any good advice? I have a fairly fragile ego and hate being knocked back!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Go for it henriette!
    From my (limited) knowlegde of private schools they like to import new ideas from state schools & with a background yourself, you understand the high expectations of such schools.
    Do go & have a search online at facilities at the school, look at school numbers -many private schools are struggling to keep numbers up in the present climate.
    Have a look in the Independant forum & find out as much info as you can.
    Best of luck!

4. ambi

ambi New commenter

If you are wanting a move I agree you should not leave it any longer.Ii made my last move 7 years ago at age of 49 and I feel very strongly that had I left it any longer no-one would have taken a second look at me. Also if you have no issues with working in the private sector I think basically you have nothing to lose by applying (apart from your pride if you don't get it but you will soon get over that!). Do you feel by applying it would compromise your position at your present school? (obviously they could do nothing about it but if chance of an internal promotion of some kind were to arise later they might not consider you as they might feel your loyalties are not stron - this is me just musing and I have no substance to base this on at all)
    I would go for it and see. The other thing to maybe consider is that parent pressure might be incredibly strong at a private school and that might be tough but weighed against the advantages for you it might not be a big deal. Such decisions are hard particularly if you are fairly happy in the school where you are at the moment. Good luck in whatever you decide and let us know how you get on.

5. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I would see no reason not to go for it.
    I'm a HoD and have helped interview a number of colleagues at our grammar school. Your age may count against you, despite your experience. They may wonder why you want to move.
    Independents love any extra-curricular you can offer.
    They will look closely at your degree and university.

6. TWo friends of mine have moved to the private sector from state. One finished her career - only 2/3 years I think but it then enabled her to easily get supply in local independents to supplement her pension. Another never really hacked it in the state system but is very happy in her small independent. I could never do it - you presumably have to plan a whole lesson with no time taken out for lateness, sorting out equipment, arguing over whether they handed in h/w or not and breaking up fights.
    Are you really posh then? As posh as me??
    X

7. Check your pension arrangements, Henriette though. That's superannuation, not the gite.