1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please - Year 9

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by robmusicman, May 4, 2011.

1. robmusicman

robmusicman New commenter

Hi, I'm currently a music PGCE student, struggling with some year 9s in my final placement. Generally, throughout this placement, and especially my first placement which was at quite a rough school, I have been told my behaviour/classroom management is good, however I can't seem to get through to a group of year 9 girls.
    They seem to be laughing at me behind my back. Now, I'm not upset by it or anything, as I've got a thick skin, my dilemma is how it effects my standing with my class. It's hard to be in a position of authority when some of them are laughing behind my back. I think it may have to do something with me being male, as another male PGCE student at my school as mentioned the same type of problem. Any advice for how to deal with it and assert my authority?
    Thanks!

2. robmusicman

robmusicman New commenter

Hi, I'm currently a music PGCE student, struggling with some year 9s in my final placement. Generally, throughout this placement, and especially my first placement which was at quite a rough school, I have been told my behaviour/classroom management is good, however I can't seem to get through to a group of year 9 girls.
    They seem to be laughing at me behind my back. Now, I'm not upset by it or anything, as I've got a thick skin, my dilemma is how it effects my standing with my class. It's hard to be in a position of authority when some of them are laughing behind my back. I think it may have to do something with me being male, as another male PGCE student at my school as mentioned the same type of problem. Any advice for how to deal with it and assert my authority?
    Thanks!

3. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

If they are laughing at you behind your back and this is disrupting the lesson then keep them behind at the end of the lesson so they can explain what is so amusing. Patiently explain to them at length that while you are happy for them to have a laugh and a joke it has to be at an appropriate time and in a way that does not disrupt the learning of other pupils. In the first instance keep the discussion short. If the problem recurrs then make the discussion about laughing, jokes and appropriateness increasingly long and increasingly tedious. Most pupils soon get the point and cut it out.

4. What about gently but clearly raising it in the context of a class, e.g. Looking at pieces/songs that would raise discussion about emotions? You could go slightly veer off track when going into detail about a more specific piece-maybe from a musical- that addressed mocking others/bullying. Engage them in a general group discussion about the feelings of the character in the musical or such and how the composer portrays this emotion in his musical writing. This could be after having previously played an array of shorter clips with you asking them how composers use instrumentation/tempo/key etc to portray feelings. When you get to the mocking gently slip in something along the lines of how being victims of this makes them feel, use yourself as a positive example, expressing that even teachers can be victim to students making personal comments but obviously are able to rise above it, even though it is not pleasant and wholly unacceptable. Move ALL questioning related to you directly towards the female perpetrators and try and lead the discussion gently toward realisation of how these people are small minded and need help with their ignorance (obviously general). Quickly pop back to topic of composers expressing emotion. Whole class will know what you've done and the girls now look a little silly. Alternatively confront outside of class as a group. Depends what type of girls you think they are and whether this needs subtle addressing infront of the class or just a word in their ear. Sorry this is waffly, made sense when I started but finished the post with a break of several glasses of wine in between.......