1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please, would this work?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stacey1004, Jan 3, 2011.

1. I have an interview for a PGCE, part of which is a 30 minute lesson with either Year 1 or 2.
    It has to be a lesson based around a story of my choice and this is my idea;
    A story bag with the main things from the story, I have chosen Jack and The Beanstalk so the bag would have; a mum, a boy, a cow, an old woman, a bag of beans, a beanstalk and a giant. I would pull each item out of the bag having first asked the students to think about which story it might be, I would allow a student to guess after each item. (I think I would take them out of the bag in the above order so its not too obvious immediately!)
    Once we've established the story I would then ask them if plants really grow from beans, and what do plants need to grow.
    I will have some bean plants at varying stages of development to show them - I would then ask them to put them in order of which plants have been growing the longest, and get them to look at the different parts of the plants (they are being grown in see-through pots against paper towel so that you can see what's happening. We would then use a large drawing of the plants and label the parts (seed/bean, roots, shoots, stem, leaves), and get them to complete the diagram on the bean diary I have made.
    If there is time I hope to get them to set up their own bean plant experiment (its very quick, paper towel, plastic container, bean seed and water), and have the bean diary for them to complete and take away.
    Would this work? Is it ok for Year 1 or 2 - if not how could I differentiate between the two? Am I expecting too much? Or is it not enough? I have yet to work with Year 1 or 2 (I have work experience a week before the interview, and I want to trial it!!) and its a long time since my kids were that age so I really don't know how students of that age would respond to these sorts of tasks. Any ideas/feedback would be really really helpful!

2. I have an interview for a PGCE, part of which is a 30 minute lesson with either Year 1 or 2.
    It has to be a lesson based around a story of my choice and this is my idea;
    A story bag with the main things from the story, I have chosen Jack and The Beanstalk so the bag would have; a mum, a boy, a cow, an old woman, a bag of beans, a beanstalk and a giant. I would pull each item out of the bag having first asked the students to think about which story it might be, I would allow a student to guess after each item. (I think I would take them out of the bag in the above order so its not too obvious immediately!)
    Once we've established the story I would then ask them if plants really grow from beans, and what do plants need to grow.
    I will have some bean plants at varying stages of development to show them - I would then ask them to put them in order of which plants have been growing the longest, and get them to look at the different parts of the plants (they are being grown in see-through pots against paper towel so that you can see what's happening. We would then use a large drawing of the plants and label the parts (seed/bean, roots, shoots, stem, leaves), and get them to complete the diagram on the bean diary I have made.
    If there is time I hope to get them to set up their own bean plant experiment (its very quick, paper towel, plastic container, bean seed and water), and have the bean diary for them to complete and take away.
    Would this work? Is it ok for Year 1 or 2 - if not how could I differentiate between the two? Am I expecting too much? Or is it not enough? I have yet to work with Year 1 or 2 (I have work experience a week before the interview, and I want to trial it!!) and its a long time since my kids were that age so I really don't know how students of that age would respond to these sorts of tasks. Any ideas/feedback would be really really helpful!

3. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I've only taught Year 1 on placement but your idea sounds pretty good. I would only say that there might not be time for them to plant their own beans, but you can put that down as an extension on your plan. Also, remember that perhaps not all the children in the class will be familiar with the story.
    You haven't mentioned differentiation in your plan here. Perhaps you could have them, after you've established the story, talk to the person next to them as to what they think a plant needs to grow, maybe ask them to agree on one thing to share with the class. For LA children you could have them working in a small group with you or a TA and you could create a list together of what they think, linking to what they themselves need to grow big and strong. On the bean diary diagram, perhaps HA children could complete it themselves, but A and LA children could use the large drawing and labels you have used.
    I don't have anything else to add, it sounds like a nice lesson to me!

4. Those are pretty much the ideas I had for differentiation so that's reassuring, I thought I would allow the students to choose an 'easy' diary or an 'challenging' diary, to give them the option of pushing themselves that little bit further. However, I need to think of how to name them, easy and challenging just doesn't sound right!
    Thanks very much for your input, I just needed some reassurance and/or criticism from trained teachers...either would be really helpful!!!
    If the students don't know the story I will have to give a basic outline, it's only up to the point that the beanstalk grows thats important! I really hope they do know the story though it will make it much smoother!!!

5. You could do it as Must and Could. E.g you much do one like...or you could progress further and ... Make sure that your skill objective is really clear and that you have opportunities at the end to assess what the children I've achieved.