1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please - use of PPA time

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by amrh13, Jan 10, 2019.

1. amrh13

amrh13 New commenter

I am an assistant head of department with 10% PPA + 1 period of Leadership time a week.
    As part of a new plan, we have an external agency coming in to school to run some training sessions. I have been asked to give up 1 PPA + my only Leadership time to attend the training session (to reduce the amount of cover required).
    To balance this, I will gain 2 additional CPD credits... We have a system where after-school/lunch CPD sessions count towards 'credits'. If you accrue 10 credits through the year, the 22nd and 23rd of July are disaggregated training days (so we don't have to be in school). If you gain more than 10 in the year, you don't get anything extra, just the knowledge of knowing you've gone above and beyond.
    I am highly likely to get to more than 10 (I think I'm on 7 already).

What I would like to know is, can my PPA time be used for this? I know that pay & conditions says that a teacher must not be required to carry out any other duties during PPA time. Should I refuse to attend the training unless it's rescheduled? (It is on at other times when I am teaching, but obviously that would require cover).

Thanks in advance.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

have no 'answers' but what I would like to say is that if you could argue that the loss of your PPA & Leadership time would mean some important parts of your work would fail to be met that would provide an argument for alternative arrangements. However we are always told to come up with' solutions not problems', so is there some way you could arrange an internal swap to provide cover for those sessions?

3. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

Management time can be directed by the head but you should be expected to attend any training/course on PPA time unless it is swapped.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

Should not be expected to give up PPA sorry. Typing error

5. amrh13

amrh13 New commenter

I know what you mean. I don't want it to sound like I'm making a problem of it. I want to attend the training, as I do think it will be useful, but like you say, it will impact on what I usually use my PPA time for.
    I don't know how an internal swap could work, without someone else losing PPA time somewhere along the way.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's the thing about an internal swap, each does indeed lose some PPA time, bit gets to be at a time of our choosing, when it may fit better with other things.
    This is what we always did years ago.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Losing one ppa for a few weeks and gaining two days off in July would seem a great swap to me!
    Especially for something useful that I wanted to do.

No they can't make you do it, but think carefully before you refuse.

8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

The management time isn’t protected.

Legally the PPA is untouchable. Are you within your rights to not go: yes. Do I think this is a battle worth fighting, especially as you see the training as useful: no.

If the situation come about that it happened again, I’d maybe bring it up, but not now. Suck it up.

I do understand you are a bit miffed that the reason you are being asked to go at x time is to cut cover. If it’s a one off though, let it go.

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It might be worth responding with "if I help you out by agreeing to do it during my PPA, is there any chance of having a lesson covered at another point that week when you have a cover supervisor spare?" Sometimes there's the odd spot in the week when supply is in to cover someone all day but is not needed for that teacher's PPA period.

strawbs likes this.