1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please, thinking of withdrawing

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by missibbotson, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Do you think that you may be failing because your heart isn't in it? If it has always been something niggling away at you then maybe its not for you but don't jump ship yet!
    I have so far had very positive experiences in the majority whilst on both placements but some days or even the odd week I feel disenchanted and question why I even bother getting out of bed in the morning. I think you need to really look at what you are doing. In my head I would be thinking:
    1, It is only until June, which is only 9 teaching weeks away, surely you can put up with that, think of the monotomy other people go through every day of their working lives.
    2, You have paid for the course you may as well finish it for your own professional development, nobody is going to make you get a secondary teaching job after it all but you may as well make the most of your investment. If you enjoy teaching music in smaller groups your qualification may do you well in future job applications for other jobs.
    On the other hand if you have been reffered then what are the chances of making a good go at it if your heart isnt there?
    I'd stick it out until at least easter. Maybe you could change your approach? You have the liberty of teaching a creative subject so make your style of teaching fit you and the classes you teach and see if you can make the most of it!
    Good luck in your choices.
    L

2. Thanks for your advice L
    I think if I had really wanted it, then I could have done it with the level of support I've been getting.
    My uni say that theoretically I could pass by the end of next term, but it would depend how much progress I had made in meeting the QTS standards. As my confidence is lower than it ever has been during the course, and as I know its not something I really want to do I think that would effect the speed of my progress and I'm likely to end up being there for an extra term.
    Although I have paid for the course, I know secondary teaching isn't something I want to do. I will end up in a (probably) low paid admin job (because that's my background) when I finish the course, and I wonder whether its best to quit now so I can start earning asap. It would also mean I could do things like learn to drive and start giving instrumental lessons straight away.
    My main issue is that I find it really hard to be motivated to teach the kids who don't want to learn music. I love working with the kids that will put the effort in, but otherwise I've noticed I don't really care. And unfortunately, having had placements in two comprehensives, most of the kids don't want to learn. I just don't think it will do anyone any good if I stay and it will waste more of staff time giving me the extra support.
    Also, one of my main reasons for staying is so I can prove to my mentor that I can do it, and I don't think that's a good enough reason to teach!

Thanks again

3. Sounds to me that you've already made the decision in your head. Good luck with whatever you finally choose to do.

4. Thanks Magaly, I think you are probably right.
    I am giving it to the end of the week, but I very much do not want to be here. I don't even feel motivated in form time, which was the one bit of the placement I really enjoyed.
    Everyone is telling me to stick it out, but I really really want to leave.

5. Zoo's?? Are you having a laugh?
    I think it would be a lot harder teaching monkeys....then again...I could be wrong.

6. Notwithstanding

Notwithstanding New commenter

I was in a similar situation and I left, have gone self employed since, and have now regained my health, friends and life balance, not to mention happily enjoying the nice weather. Unfortunately the relationship I ended has no chance now (which I resent) but hey ho, plenty of others out there, just as there are opportunities to make a living, you just have to be in a good frame of mind to take advantage of them (on the PGCE, I wasnt).

See my thread here, I knew my heart wasnt in becoming a classroom teacher in this english education system, even though I actually loved the teaching bit and was good at it. It was all the other stuff that I couldn't stomach. https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/543743.aspx

7. Hi, I decided to quit last week.
    I could come up with so many reasons for quitting that felt right, and so few for staying that I genuinely believed in.
    A large reason for quitting was because I didn't want to work in a profession where a person needs so much support but everyone is so unwilling to help out. I felt like the staff just kept their heads down and covered their own backs. They say that it gets easier after your NQT year, but so many people 5/10 years into their career were working 10/12 hour days missing out on all the other things life has to offer. I simply don't want to do that, and I think life is way too short to be unhappy.
    I feel in much of a stronger position now than this time last year. I have so much more experience and confidence. I am hoping to get some private instrumental students, and do work in other education settings which is really what I want to do. I really enjoyed working with the kids, and teaching, but the classroom really isn't for me.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Let us know!