1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please: Thinking of switching from Primary to post 16

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Scott94, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Scott94

Scott94 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I've recently completed my PGCE in Primary Education, and to cut a long story short it has been a crazy year both personally and professionally. On a personal level moving house, and caring for my mum whose health has took a bad turn, and professionally in terms of being placed in schools that weren't supportive of students.

It has really drained me mentally, physically and emotionally and my confidence has took such a hammering I've found myself questioning whether teaching in primary is right for me. I've just lost that spark for teaching in primary. I still want to teach but after some consideration I'm now looking at teaching in Post 16/Further Education.

I'm soon to be 29, my undergrad degree is in Nutrition and i'm also a qualified personal trainer, youth worker, and sports coach. My passion however is in nutrition and fitness and would love to teach in colleges/sixth form and potentially lecture at university.

I do have some concerns. 1) If i don't complete my NQT year in primary within I've years i will lose my QTS (Although I've been told you don't need to do an NQT year in post 16, and you don't always require QTS, but it is desirable).

I was just hoping to gain any advice from anyone who works in FE/Post 16, or anyone who has switched like i'm thinking of doing.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Regards,

Scott

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I don't know about Primary or FE but I would be really wary of making life-changing decisions based on what has clearly been an exceptional year for you. If you can, I would complete your Primary NQT year and get fully qualified. You might discover different circumstances bring back your confidence and whatever enthusiasm led you to pick Primary in the first place.
    I'd also think about future job prospects. Are there jobs and how much competition is there is fitness and nutrition at FE?

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Big jump, but not impossible.
    The biggest step would probably be to convince the head of an institution to take you on.

You need to sort out - is it the stress of all the changes, or have you done the PGCE and thought "this is not for me". If the latter then move forwards with the sixth form plan. My guess would be that most sixth form colleges would not have many posts for nutrition - but more for fitness /PE.
    Many parts of the world still have school based sixth forms where you would be unlikely to e appointed just to do 6th form.

Good luck
    P

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Have a look at the FE jobs on offer. Are there plenty you fancy? They are often less well-paid than teachers. Lots of FE colleges are going through agencies and paying peanuts.

I don't think you stand much chance in KS5 in schools. Sorry.

So - are there the opportunities that tickle your fancy and are you prepared to take a pay-cut? There may also be repercussions for your pension etc etc.

I was First School trained and ended up in KS5 SEN. Loved it! But I 'worked my way up'.

Of course you COULD do it but do a job search.

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  5. FredWelsh34

FredWelsh34 New commenter

I wish you every success. My heart does go out to you.
    I am currently a primary TA 3 days a week and a qualified secondary teacher. I do subbing 2 days a week. Being in secondary today and yesterday really showed me that this is where my heart lies.
    It is not the kids on primary that are the problem. But the excessively high expectations and constant workload and bullying that seems to permeate primary.
    I have never felt so exhausted in my life working in primary, However, secondary and FE come with challenges to. Teachers are under enormous pressure to get results, but so too are they in Primary teachers. Good luck

6. inceywincey

inceywincey Occasional commenter

I'm primary trained, but teach in secondary. I worked in really lovely primaries and have taught every age from nursery to Y6. I found that teaching is teaching, whatever the age, although I do definitely prefer working with older students.
    I would finish your NQT year - tick off the days if you have to, as it will give you far more options.

7. cazzmusic1

cazzmusic1 New commenter

Hi Scott 94

It's worth bearing in mind that the common inspection framework means that some of the problems in the school sector exist in FE and Adult Ed, e.g., SLT fear of Ofsted used to justify unreasonable demands on teachers; the increasing misuse of capability procedures; overuse of lesson observations and learning walks.

As in schools, not all SLTs are like this, but some are.

CM1