1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please....sickness forms

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by joeym, Jul 2, 2011.

1. I was off sick for a week and returned to work...I returned too soon and worked the week.. under compete stress.. i was signed off by the doctor ..I was subsequently of another week and had the half term to recover...on return i was given a form to complete so the school can claim back the cost of supply ( an insurance claim form)

Can anyone explain the form to me and if it should be dealt with by the head of school?...also it requests the first date of absence and the return date...surely then i would need 2 forms as I did return for a week in between ?

Thanks all

2. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

I've never heard of the teacher filling in the insurance claim form. It should surely be a task for whoever monitors absence or organises supply cover.
    The school lose out when a teacher returns too early from sick leave and then needs to go back on it as the first 3 days (usually) of each absence are not covered for supply teacher costs (the 3 days when schools can use in-house or supply CS or HLTA to cover the classes).
    Strictly speaking there should be 6 days of your combined absences when no insurance is payable. I wonder if the school are hoping that you will put the first day of absence down and the latest return to work date so that they get more insurance money and , if it's later discovered to be wrong, the school can use your 'misinformation'to absolve itself of blame.
    Ask for another form for the seond period of absence and gauge their reaction!

3. 2 periods of absence , 2 forms , I suspect the above is correct - as I have found to be the case!