1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please ...sharing good practice

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by helenelizabeth29, Jan 2, 2020.

1. helenelizabeth29

helenelizabeth29 New commenter

We present an idea to other teachers. It effectively means sharing something that works well in your classroom. I find it hard to choose an area as I always think "oh they must already know that!". It's meant to be fairly short and snappy. Does anyone have an idea that springs to mind? I am just incredibly indecisive and will spend too long pondering what to choose! Thanks so much!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's got to be something you do, tried and tested, so we won't be able to suggest anything. Do you have a TA who could suggest something they've seen you do? If secondary, you could consider asking pupils - ask if they can think of something you've done with them that they think other teachers might like to try, whether an activity or a way of organising things. They'll know what you do that others don't!

I used to commute in car pools, and it was a great way to share ideas like this - the best CPD, really. Of course it was easier when it just happened as part of talking about the day, rather than "it's your turn for a 5 minute spot".

3. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

Sorry to come so late to this.

As a teacher, as well as the parent of a child now going through primary school, I have been really impressed by the termly parents' classroom visits that we are invited to. In nursery I was really bowled over by the way the staff covered every table with fabric: it made the room so colourful and attractive to be in. In another class I was impressed by the teacher's management of children's ongoing work (ie, work started on one day but still to be finished). In the current class I have been amazed not just at the artwork that the children have produced but the amount of practice and preparation the teacher/TA must have put into it. In any of these classes I would have loved to be 'that' kind of teacher, even though I had my own strengths. It was all stuff that I had never thought of.

If you haven't already had to present, then maybe invite a trusted colleague into your classroom and ask if there is anything in particular that jumps out at her/him as something that you do differently. It doesn't have to be anything particularly big.