1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please regarding PowerPoint presentations

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Teachersgem, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Teachersgem

Teachersgem New commenter

I'm hoping to get some feedback for my teachers resources website. I've made some PowerPoint stories for the interactive whiteboard. Some of them are free and some are charged for.

If you purchased one would you expect to be able to edit the PowerPoint presentation, or would you be happy with a read only version?

Thanks

2. I would definitely expect to be able to edit it.

3. Teachersgem

Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking about it in a different way last night. If I bought an electronic book, I wouldn't be able to edit it and the PowerPoint story is much the same thing. So I'm still not sure!

I'd appreciate lots more feedback from anyone please.

4. Being able to edit a resource to suit your own class is very helpful, whether you've paid for that resource or not.
    Depends if you want your product to be better than an electronic book!!

5. Grolta

Grolta New commenter

You may have to be careful with editable ppts if you have used purchased graphics/images with specific 'Terms of Use'. If the ppt was editable then images could be copied and used. You may have to have some of it read only.
    I have phonics ppts available to download (free), used my own images and saved as a ppt show. I think it looks better when it opens as you view the slide only and not the toolbars etc. You can edit it if you know how but I don't think there is anything anyone would want to edit!
    What sort of stories are you making for the IWB?

6. Teachersgem

Thanks hyssop_puppy - I hadn't thought of it that way.

Grolta - I have stories, mainly traditional tales, and information ppts such as the history of bonfire night. I hadn't thought about other people using images that I have permission to use. One of my main concerns is that most of my images have been designed by Graphic Designers for me and for obvious reasons I don't want people to use them without permission.

You mention saving it as a ppt show. I've never tried that! Does that prevent you from editing it?

Thanks

7. If they are mainly stories and are similar to e-books then, no, I wouldn't expect to edit them. However, I use very few of this type of resource.

In terms of non-fiction type powerpoints, I would want to add slides to suit my own purpose, eg putting up learning objectives, inserting question prompts or activities, etc. So I guess it depends very much on the type of presentation you are making and what you think teachers will do with it. Whilst read only ones are useful ways of displaying texts to the whole class, the ones you can personalise for each class/group are most useful to me.

8. Grolta

Grolta New commenter

If each page of your ppt is just text and images with no animations then I think your best bet would be to save each slide as a png image. If you have ppt 2010 it's an option in 'save as'. You could then construct a slide show with the image 'pages', that way your graphics are not sitting separately on each slide. I often do that, although I use Serif to construct and save the page. Someone could still copy the page and crop it, or use a snipping tool if they were determined!
    With regards to a ppt show, it can still be edited but you have to open the show by browsing for it via another ppt file, if you see what I mean!! It then opens in the editable version.

9. Teachersgem

Thanks senteachinginfo and Grolta.

You've both helped me make a decision on what to do.

The stories are just like books and so it makes sense to present them as a uneditable slide show, but others that give information would be best editable so teachers can change it according to their needs.

I'll have a go at saving them as a png.

Thanks again