1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice, please: RC schools

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Ezzie, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Hi! I'm searching for a part time primary position and I've been looking at one in an RC school. How different is this from a non-denomination school? I am not religious at all and might find it difficult if there is a strong emphasis on religion. Would greatly appreciate advice from anyone teaching/having taught in such a school. I have taught in CofE schools in England with no problem, not sure if that's comparable? Thanks in advance.

2. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

Hi Ezzie,

my understanding is that for a primary teacher in a RC school you usually need to be a practising Catholic. This is because you must teacher RE in line with the experiences and outcomes for Catholic schools. http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/Images/rerc_experiences_outcomes_tcm4-539884.pdf (see here).

However, depending on where the school is, there is a shortage of Catholic teachers at the moment and the other option for the school is that another teacher would teach RE for you, perhaps during your time out of class/part time days. You might be expected to teach another subject in another class during this time. The one major issue with this is that Curriculum for Excellence is really supposed to see overlap between subjects and there would be daily prayers etc so this may not be possible.

You would still need a character reference but that would not be an issue and the fact you have taught in CofE schools would probably be helpful (you essentially have to say that you will respect the Catholic ethos of the school). You might wish to get in touch with schools before you apply for jobs to see what they say.

3. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Thanks Mazod, that's really useful. I think on reflection I'll not be applying because I know I would struggle with the 'lack of religious belief' issue. I'll keep looking but many thanks again!

4. sir2006

sir2006 New commenter

If it's Primary, you'd possibly struggle as the school would need to put a member of staff in the class to teacher 2.5 hours of RE per week and say prayers with the class every morning and afternoon.