1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please on what to do next

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by I_like_food, Jun 2, 2011.

1. I have posted this on the primary forum but hoping I might get some advice here

Should I stay or should I go?
    I am nearing my contract expiry date at the school I currently teach in. My head can only offer me a very short term contract come September. Whilst it is more guaranteed than finding something more permanent, If I say yes to him now, I tie myself into that contract and would not be able to look for more permanent work that starts in September. I will also end up back in the job market at a time when there will be very few jobs, whereas now there are more jobs. I have had so many short term contracts that it's causing me too much stress and anxiety, not knowing what's happening job wise. Even if I find a non teaching job that is permanent, at the moment I would rather do that than keep going from pillar to post. I want to settle down financially and location-wise, as I know that if I move I will be more likely to get a permanent teaching post. However, I have moved a lot recently and me and my other half want to start settling down and setting up home as it were.

The way I see it, I have two options:

1) Say yes to my boss, and look for jobs at Christmas (which brings financial uncertainty) 2) Say no, and continue to look for more pemanent jobs that start in September (which also brings financial uncertainty) Whatever I do, I don't want to cause a rift between me and my partner (who is worried about our finances) or my boss who's a lovely man to work for.

I am so not good at making decisions- rocks, hard places....

2. I have posted this on the primary forum but hoping I might get some advice here

Should I stay or should I go?
    I am nearing my contract expiry date at the school I currently teach in. My head can only offer me a very short term contract come September. Whilst it is more guaranteed than finding something more permanent, If I say yes to him now, I tie myself into that contract and would not be able to look for more permanent work that starts in September. I will also end up back in the job market at a time when there will be very few jobs, whereas now there are more jobs. I have had so many short term contracts that it's causing me too much stress and anxiety, not knowing what's happening job wise. Even if I find a non teaching job that is permanent, at the moment I would rather do that than keep going from pillar to post. I want to settle down financially and location-wise, as I know that if I move I will be more likely to get a permanent teaching post. However, I have moved a lot recently and me and my other half want to start settling down and setting up home as it were.

The way I see it, I have two options:

1) Say yes to my boss, and look for jobs at Christmas (which brings financial uncertainty) 2) Say no, and continue to look for more pemanent jobs that start in September (which also brings financial uncertainty) Whatever I do, I don't want to cause a rift between me and my partner (who is worried about our finances) or my boss who's a lovely man to work for.

I am so not good at making decisions- rocks, hard places....