1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please on teaching maths in the UK.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TwoLegsBaaad, Jul 20, 2011.

1. I am an American math teacher. I need advice in several areas.

What are places in the UK that would be good to teach and where should I avoid? I certainly do not expect anyone to answer this for all of the UK but if people could share their knowledge of the areas they are familiar with that would be helpful. I can do the same for you about the US if you like.

What sites do I go to in order to find public school jobs in the UK? I do not want to work for private or religious schools. I also am not interested in supply jobs, which I think is what in the States we call substitute teaching assignments. I would rather change baby diapers with my teeth than be a substitute teacher.

2. I am an American math teacher. I need advice in several areas.

What are places in the UK that would be good to teach and where should I avoid? I certainly do not expect anyone to answer this for all of the UK but if people could share their knowledge of the areas they are familiar with that would be helpful. I can do the same for you about the US if you like.

What sites do I go to in order to find public school jobs in the UK? I do not want to work for private or religious schools. I also am not interested in supply jobs, which I think is what in the States we call substitute teaching assignments. I would rather change baby diapers with my teeth than be a substitute teacher.

3. I have always worked in the north-west and in the schools I have worked in (mixture of state, private and church schools) the children have been mostly well-behaved and lovely.
    You can find jobs in my area on a site called www.yourcounciljobs.co.uk which lists all the state school jobs across several local authorities up here. I don't know if other areas have this or whether you would have to go on individual local authority sites. Try googling "teaching posts in ......" and you might find something similar. Council bulletins are usually the most comprehensive source for state school jobs but will include the church schools as well. The job listings on this site are also useful and pretty comprehensive (though will not include every job as advertising here costs schools money). Eteach is also a good one though that will include some supply jobs.
    Yes, supply jobs are like substitute teacher jobs.
    Competition is extremely fierce at present for permanent/long-term teaching jobs I'm afraid but you SHOULD have an advantage in that Maths is allegedly a shortage subject in some areas (I'm not sure which - I don't think it's a particular shortage in the north-west - I have some secondary Maths colleagues who are struggling to get jobs).
    You might want to contact the TDA (tda.gov.uk) regarding whether American teaching qualifications are suitable for UK state schools and whether they would recommend any top-up training. There can be variations from country to country. For example, a regular UK QTS is not sufficient to teach in Scottish schools. However, every school makes its own decisions about what is suitable ultimately (though private schools have more say than state schools).
    Good luck!

4. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I wonder why you have an avoidance of church schools? In the UK in the secondary sector most Church of England schools have very little extra relgious element in them other than a prayer in assembly type thing, or collective worship with your form (just get the kids to do the prayer if you feel uncomfortable with this). Roman Catholic schools are a different kettle of fish though, but I wouldn't rule our C of E state secondary schools.
    I wonder also why you have an aversion to private schools (often called public schools in the secondary sector?). Many pay more than state schools and have longer holidays and may be able to offer some accomodation in return for a bit of boarding duty (helpful when you are first relocating).
    In the current jobs climate in the UK you just can't afford to be snobby about jobs as there are increasing numbers of newly qualifed UK teachers without jobs to go to.

5. I am perhaps in error in applying my knowledge of private and religious schools in the States to those in the UK. I thought they would be parallel systems but perhaps they are not.

6. That is also the case in America. The math shortage is largely a fabrication as it only exists in the most undesirable school districts and it is simply filled by them by hiring indentured servants from third world countries.