1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please on GCSE re-marks

Discussion in 'Science' started by Honeydew, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Hi,
    My son was a few marks from a 9 for chemistry (2 marks) and a few marks off an 8 for Biology by 5 marks. He would like a re-mark - can you please tell me if it is worth getting a re-mark or is it too risky?

Also should he have all units marked? We don't have access to the breakdown for each unit so aren't sure what's best.

BTW I am overjoyed at his results and annoyed he wants a re-mark. But he's insistent and won't be dissuaded.

Thanks.

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

As a general rule, Science papers do not change by much when remarked (unlike History, English and other essay subjects). The Chemistry paper be worth a remark but the Biology paper is unlikely to be successful.

If you are going down the remark route, first request copies of your son's papers (with a mark scheme) to see if there are any potential areas for marks. The exam officer at his school will be able to let you know his marks for each paper allowing you to get one paper only remarked

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The exams officer will have access to unit results; school should be able to advise once they get to see the scripts.
    Be aware that in the event of a re-mark, the score can go down as well as up. If he's ever so close to the top of a grade boundary, that's a risk worth taking; if close to the bottom of a grade boundary, well, that's different.

4. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Thank you both for your advice - much appreciated.

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

speak to the exams officer at school, and take their advice. Definitely not with the biology, 5 marks means it will be closer to a 6 than an 8, and it could well go down.

Possibly with the chemistry, although you need to go through the school, and take their advice. He could still lose the 8.

We got one paper remarked for my daughter, it went down by 5 marks.